Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "So and so" is a beer connoisseur

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #51
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1369 Times on 1271 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atonk View Post
I'm probably just getting old and crotchety, but I have to know if the rest of you out there experience this.

I have a friend who just started seeing someone, and she says "I told him you're a homebrewer - he's a beer connoisseur and wants to try your beer."

(repeat over and over in a variety of settings and situations)

I think this whole "connoisseur" thing gets thrown around a little too loosely. I love sharing my beer, but I'd be far more apt to give someone a sample if they just asked.
So, have you invited them over to try a few beers? She wants you to meet the guy.

Oh, so you're just gonna sit there drinkin beer from your keg, sh!ttin in the kitchen sink, and watching him work -Xaphoeous

I McDrunko and this beer is Amazing!- McBrewskie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 AM   #52
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
You quite clearly did not understand much of what I said. At least you were rude in your reply.
I understood completely, and I wasn't being rude, I never insulted you directly I simply voiced my opinion about how silly society has become to shun words rather than understand their actual meaning. Definitions of each word from Merriam-Webster:

Connoisseur

1: expert; especially : one who understands the details, technique, or principles of an art and is competent to act as a critical judge
2: one who enjoys with discrimination and appreciation of subtleties <a connoisseur of fine wines>

Geek

1: a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake
2: a person often of an intellectual bent who is disliked
3: an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity <computer geek>

I wasn't trying to sound rude, just whimsically sarcastic

Rev.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:55 AM   #53
Frogmanx82
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have to agree with rev, I think zeg is off the mark on his interpretation of a connoisseur. A connoisseur of beer has tried many beers and I'm sure many of those beers are drunk in bars and not in leather chairs. He's on the mark though when it comes to having the term thrown around too loosely.

I've had hundreds of different kinds of beers, been on many brewery tours, brew my own. I appreciate a good beer. I might be called a connoisseur of beer but would hesitate to do so just because I've never had to judge beers in any official capacity to see where my palate rates compared to experts. Beer snob? I'm comfortable with that.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #54
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
Beer snob? I'm comfortable with that.
You can call yourself a beer snob with sarcasm being implied. Calling yourself a connoisseur actually sounds more snobby to me.

I know enough about beer and brewing to know that there's a lot I don't know.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #55
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

The amount of times a friend or family member has told me, "You should talk to ____. You are both experts" or "Our friend has a restaurant. You should consult them and give beer advice"

Just brewing extract brews and cellaring a few commercial beers and suddenly you're a Master Cicerone and Pro-Brewer.

It really comes down to...You have more than a few cans of beer in the fridge and know how to carbonate a keg and you must be an expert. It's flattering but I have to set people straight a lot..not acquaintances but I let people I'm friends with know that I'm not an expert...HBT has over 100K users of people and almost all of them know a hell of a lot more than I will ever know and even they don't consider themselves Experts.

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

People Like This 
Old 12-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #56
Frogmanx82
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
You can call yourself a beer snob with sarcasm being implied. Calling yourself a connoisseur actually sounds more snobby to me.
To me your a beer snob if you find the mass produced US beers unacceptable. I don't drink Bud, I just won't do it.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #57
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2065 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 4132

I won't drink Bud. I don't like it. I don't care if someone hands it to me. 99% of the time, they wouldn't drink my APA if I handed it to them.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 12-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #58
Frogmanx82
Recipes 

Won't drink a Bud.....Beer Snob
Won't drink a Pale Ale......Beer Nube

Old 12-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #59
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1000 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-Klubb View Post
I won't drink Bud. I don't like it. I don't care if someone hands it to me. 99% of the time, they wouldn't drink my APA if I handed it to them.
Most of the people I know won't touch ANY of my homebrews. "They're too strong" they say! They can't handle malt flavor, hop aroma/flavor, or high ABV. If you hand them something other than BMC they'll look at you funny. I don't drink BMC, but I don't mind that the people I know are the way they are. If I'm out socially and someone hands me a BMC I'll drink it. I won't enjoy it much, but I'll drink it.

I guess what I'm getting at is... a snob won't drink certain beers and will snub them. A beer connoisseur (Zythologist) must try all styles of beer to truely be a connoisseur.

Just my opinion...

Old 12-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #60
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Stop having friends.

Works every time.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Quick Reply