Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "So and so" is a beer connoisseur

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #41
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1433 Times on 1035 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly_belly View Post
Have you noticed most beer "connoisseurs" drink Heineken?
Eh, I've noticed most "connoisseurs" drink Guinness. You know, the really heavy, full bodied, higher alcohol beer. :sarcasm:

Up Next: Brett. C. Old Ale
Primary: Best Bitter, English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer
Secondary: Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled for the long haul: Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #42
Subsailor
Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 3701

I consider myself a Beverage Enthusiast and I don't limit myself to beer! I like Wine, Cider, Mead and for that matter almost any fermented beverage.

SSBN 641 B

Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #43
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
Eh, I've noticed most "connoisseurs" drink Guinness. You know, the really heavy, full bodied, higher alcohol beer. :sarcasm:
I overhear people making stupid comments like this all the time and I always make a point (nicely of course, I don't come off as a douchebag) that it's actually lower in alcohol at about 4.2% on average. One time on vacation in Cancun in the pool two older americans we were chatting with went on to tell us how much stronger Tecate is than American beer I explained to them that it's actually a half percent lower than the average 5% of most American beers and that the reason they are perceiving it as stronger is due to being on vacation, drinking more, and drinking faster being in a leisurely environment.

Rev.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #44
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010

I overhear people making stupid comments like this all the time and I always make a point (nicely of course, I don't come off as a douchebag) that it's actually lower in alcohol at about 4.2% on average. One time on vacation in Cancun in the pool two older americans we were chatting with went on to tell us how much stronger Tecate is than American beer I explained to them that it's actually a half percent lower than the average 5% of most American beers and that the reason they are perceiving it as stronger is due to being on vacation, drinking more, and drinking faster being in a leisurely environment.

Rev.
What are ya, some kinda beer connoisseur?

I try not to refer to myself at all. If I'm out and someone hands me a beer, I'll thank him and return the favor. If someone wants to try my beer, I'm happy to oblige unless they're rude--but I generally don't spend time with rude people more than once anyway. Live & let live--and if they don't like my beer, that's just more for me to enjoy!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #45
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

"Connoisseur" is one of those labels that one should be very cautious about applying to oneself. Unless you've really, really done your homework and have clearly earned the right, it strikes me as arrogant to call yourself a connoisseur.

Applying it to someone else doesn't bother me. It's not a term I use very often, but it is sometimes the correct one. These days, though, "snob" and "geek" are the informal terms, and both have lost a lot of the negative connotation. Still, "beer connoisseur" implies something a bit more than "beer snob" or "beer geek." I'm not sure quite what---a sense of gravitas or elegance. A connoisseur sits in his leather chair in the oak-paneled room sipping from a crystal snifter. A beer geek appreciates his beer just as much, but may be standing out back wearing his work shirt and jeans as he does so.

At least, that's the picture I get from the word. It's interesting to read this thread and find out what other people associate with it.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #46
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly_belly
Have you noticed most beer "connoisseurs" drink Heineken?
As a true "connoisseur," I prefer Beck's

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 AM   #47
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1010 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 2678

I prefer Zythologist

Old 12-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #48
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
A connoisseur sits in his leather chair in the oak-paneled room sipping from a crystal snifter. A beer geek appreciates his beer just as much, but may be standing out back wearing his work shirt and jeans as he does so.

At least, that's the picture I get from the word.
Sorry but that's plain ridiculous. Are we as a society expected to start dumbing ourselves down using "idiocracy" like terms such as "geek" over "connoisseur"? If I've been drinking several hundreds of types of beer, learning their origins, various aspects about the beers, their histories, and having dumped that much money I'd think it silly just to label me a geek. A word that, mind you, was typically assigned by jocks to kids they would wedgy and torture in school.

To instantly assume a connoisseur is some snobby douche in a leather chair is akin to thinking someone with a Ph.D. shouldn't call include the term doctor unless they are of the medical type.

Rev. (Beer brewer and connoisseur) - typing this from my posh leather chair in my elaborate study by the fireplace while sipping not beer but 80 year old brandy...not. LOL

Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 AM   #49
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I've got a life... far too much to be concerned about such petty matters.

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 12-05-2012, 04:24 AM   #50
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
Sorry but that's plain ridiculous. Are we as a society expected to start dumbing ourselves down using "idiocracy" like terms such as "geek" over "connoisseur"? If I've been drinking several hundreds of types of beer, learning their origins, various aspects about the beers, their histories, and having dumped that much money I'd think it silly just to label me a geek. A word that, mind you, was typically assigned by jocks to kids they would wedgy and torture in school.

To instantly assume a connoisseur is some snobby douche in a leather chair is akin to thinking someone with a Ph.D. shouldn't call include the term doctor unless they are of the medical type.

Rev. (Beer brewer and connoisseur) - typing this from my posh leather chair in my elaborate study by the fireplace while sipping not beer but 80 year old brandy...not. LOL
You quite clearly did not understand much of what I said. At least you were rude in your reply.

-- Dr. Zeg, Ph.D.

Quick Reply