Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "So and so" is a beer connoisseur

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #31
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1454 Times on 1052 Posts
Likes Given: 616

I prefer "beer geek" myself as well.

And I look at brewing the same way I look at cooking, brewing a spectacular beer that's truly your own requires blend of art and craft. The artistic comes in envisioning the final product you want, the craft in having the technical expertise and understanding of the underlying science to consistently execute it.

Up Next: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Malt Liquor, Belgian IPA
Primary: English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Secondary: Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: Best Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #32
Atonk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Love all the responses -- thank you. I've been very curious what my fellow homebrewers encounter.

Like I said, I'm happy to share, and I'm happy it comes up in conversation - but I like the word "enthusiast."

Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #33
Atonk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Yeah. "I like beer." This sums it up. And I've absolutely no qualms with admitting I appreciate even the big guys. A couple Rolling Rocks, some Coors Banquet, even a Bud Light or two has its place. What a silly, snobby hobby brewing would become if we all pretentiously judged others for not "understanding" us. Yeesh...
That's all I'm saying - just tell me you like beer.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #34
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atonk View Post
and I'm happy it comes up in conversation - but I like the word "enthusiast."
But that's just nitpicking a word because you think it sounds better or more "appropriate". IMO the last thing we need is more "PC (politically correct) wording" to appease everyone. We're beer makers/drinkers, out of everyone I'd think we would be more chill about such things.

Rev.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #35
Atonk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
But that's just nitpicking a word because you think it sounds better or more "appropriate". IMO the last thing we need is more "PC (politically correct) wording" to appease everyone. We're beer makers/drinkers, out of everyone I'd think we would be more chill about such things.

Rev.
Oh yeah, it's nitpicking. But this is just a conversation - I would never tell people what I think they should call themselves.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #36
cdubbaya
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Personally, I hear a lot of jargon, but I appreciate it most when I get referenced as a Brewer. When people that don't brew talk to me about brewing, they hear my passion and knowledge about how it's made, styles, techniques, etc.

I drink, trade, and follow a lot of craft beer/breweries too, but nothing is more rewarding than having people complement your own beer and ask about it with genuine interest.

Honey Double IPA
Atonk Likes This 
Old 12-04-2012, 03:51 AM   #37
whitehause
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

My question is....Why does she call him a connoisseur? It could be because he orders many different beer styles when they're out, or it could be because he had Miller 64, Coor's, AND Bud light lime in his fridge.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern
dallasdb Likes This 
Old 12-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #38
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 135

I refer to myself as a beer geek, and I brew beer at home.
I enjoy having people try my beer and have some opinion about it, whether they like it, hate it, or something else. People don't have to be into beer to be my friends, many aren't into beer. I save the beer for someone else. Beer is about being social, and people are entitled to their opinions about it, and to refer to themselves or someone they know however they want if you ask me. Some who refer to themselves as aficionados or connoisseurs have no clue about it, but that's fine by me. It just means they like talking about beer more than the average person.
-(I had to spell check to get the correct spelling for 'aficionados' and 'connoisseurs')

Old 12-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #39
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apatride View Post
Actually, "artisanal" is the French word for "craft". If this was referring to art, the term would be "artistique". Still, using a French word for any food related stuff sounds overly posh to me.
This being said, brewing beer has all the components needed to be defined as an art.
Quite right- glad somebody knows the distinction. I was referring to the more popular usage of the term which is, as you say, quite posh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxal View Post
I had to spell check to get the correct spelling for 'aficionados' and 'connoisseurs'
Guilty

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #40
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Have you noticed most beer "connoisseurs" drink Heineken?

Quick Reply