The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "So and so" is a beer connoisseur

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
Apatride
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I like "amateur":
An amateur (French amateur "lover of", from Old French and ultimately from Latin amatorem nom. amator, "lover")
Being a native French speaker, I see this term as being motivated by love (of beer, of course).
It is also kind of bullet proof against any attempt to see me as a snob even when I refuse a Bud.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Hmm, I used to consider myself a beer connoisseur before I started brewing, I don't see anything wrong with it. Of course we'll always get our fair share of hipsters that think that since they've had a few Chimay's they're connoisseurs but there no shame in using the word for the people that it does fit. Myself, I've had many different hundreds of beers, but I also knew a lot of info about those beers, and other beers within the brand's line.

If someone truly loves beer and makes an effort to try a lot of different beers to gain experience and also learn about them then I see nothing wrong with using the title. I would rather a self proclaimed beer connoisseur try my beer than Joe neighbor who's only feedback will be "thank you!".

Rev.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by atonk View Post
i'm probably just getting old and crotchety, but i have to know if the rest of you out there experience this.

I have a friend who just started seeing someone, and she says "i told him you're a homebrewer - he's a beer connoisseur and wants to try your beer."

(repeat over and over in a variety of settings and situations)

i think this whole "connoisseur" thing gets thrown around a little too loosely. I love sharing my beer, but i'd be far more apt to give someone a sample if they just asked.
rdwhahb

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

malweth Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr

rdwhahb
Yeah. "I like beer." This sums it up. And I've absolutely no qualms with admitting I appreciate even the big guys. A couple Rolling Rocks, some Coors Banquet, even a Bud Light or two has its place. What a silly, snobby hobby brewing would become if we all pretentiously judged others for not "understanding" us. Yeesh...
malweth Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I think connoisseur has a much better connotation than snob. Maybe I just watch too much Food Network.

In any case, I prefer the word "drinker." Everyone knows what a beer drinker is and there's little chance they'll offer you wine. I'm very open to BMC, if the setting is right -- that doesn't stop me from drinking a IIPA, or Flanders Red, or Kölsch.

In case you're interested, proper BMC settings are:
(1) Someone else brought the beer and there's nothing else available (why didn't you bring a case of homebrew?)
(2) You need cheap cans of something for a hot, beach setting (I prefer Coors Light)
(3) You're studying Light American Lagers for the BJCP.

[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #16
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 323

I prefer beer geek, at least when referring to myself. I do tend to geek out over beer, like to talk about it, make it, drink it, and generally obsess, but I'm not a snob. If someone hands you a beer, you should drink it, because that was a really nice thing for them to do. Don't tell them why you don't drink that fizzy yellow swill, you jerk.

It's also why I greatly prefer the term "craft" beer to "artisanal." What I do isn't art, and I'm not an artist. I'm a craftsman and this is my craft. It's hard work over a long period of time to gain expertise; to be able to generate an end product which is useful and has value to others exactly as I designed it.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

pdxal Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
techbrewie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

I suppose it would all be about tone. If it was a guy that appreciates good beer then its all good bother. drink your fill and constructive criticism is always appreciated.

But if hes the type that gets off on picking out every single flaw, even ones based on opinion just to feel sophisticated (an annoying and pretentious habit of many "connisours") i wouldn't be too enthused about it.

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 18

<---- Beer Appreciator

Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #19
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by techbrewie View Post
(an annoying and pretentious habit of many "connisours")
LMAO, "connisours". I like that term! Gonna use that from now on to describe overly pretentious connoisseurs

Rev.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #20
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I am not a connoisseur, sir. I am a drunk.

The homebrew just makes it classy.

Bottled - Brett B Red Wine, Dandelion Honey Braggot, Dandelion Honey Mead, Dragon's Milk Clone, JAOM, Mixed Berry Mead, SMaSH Lager, Strawberry Wine (2013), Vanilla Wine, White Grape Juice Wine

People Like This 

Quick Reply