Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "So and so" is a beer connoisseur

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Atonk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default "So and so" is a beer connoisseur

I'm probably just getting old and crotchety, but I have to know if the rest of you out there experience this.

I have a friend who just started seeing someone, and she says "I told him you're a homebrewer - he's a beer connoisseur and wants to try your beer."

(repeat over and over in a variety of settings and situations)

I think this whole "connoisseur" thing gets thrown around a little too loosely. I love sharing my beer, but I'd be far more apt to give someone a sample if they just asked.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4465 Times on 3251 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atonk View Post
I'm probably just getting old and crotchety, but I have to know if the rest of you out there experience this.

I have a friend who just started seeing someone, and she says "I told him you're a homebrewer - he's a beer connoisseur and wants to try your beer."

(repeat over and over in a variety of settings and situations)

I think this whole "connoisseur" thing gets thrown around a little too loosely. I love sharing my beer, but I'd be far more apt to give someone a sample if they just asked.
I don't know- I sort of like it.

I mean, if I say "I love beer!" I have people handing me Rolling Rock as a "great beer". If I say, "I love craft beer!", people think I want two Rolling Rocks.

But if I call my self a beer "connoisseur", maybe that would connote that I like good craft beer? Just a thought!

Old 12-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 574 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
But if I call my self a beer "connoisseur", maybe that would connote that I like good craft beer? Just a thought!
Just coming out and admitting that "I'm somewhat of a beer snob" usually heads off the BMC.

Connoisseur actually sounds more pretensions to me.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2008 Times on 1759 Posts
Likes Given: 1486

I'd be curious as to his definition of connoiseur. Makes me think of the funny things said about beer thread...

Old 12-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I'm a beer critic.

I'm most critical of my own brews.

I think critics tend to analyze all aspects of the beer; aroma, color, clarity, initial flavor, cold flavor, warm flavor, aftertaste, etc, etc. A beer lover just likes drinking beer, maybe for the taste, maybe for the buzz...a critic is focused on the quality of the beer.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 12-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I think people should be proud that they don't drink giant conglomerated international junk beer. They might drink "craft" because it's better beer, they might do it because they want to support local business, they might do it because they want to feel fancy and elitist, or they might do it because they don't want their money going to an international corporation.

the funny thing is that I haven't brewed much to style, so even when a "connoisseur" tries my homebrew, they still might find it challenging and unlike what they're used to.

I think if someone describes themselves as a connoisseur and they're interested in tasting what you make, you should take that as a complement.

Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I’d tell her to tell him, “Sure, come on over. Bring one of your favorites and we’ll do a tasting.” I’m tired of supplying beer to people who won’t reciprocate.

Interesting that connoisseur sounds snobbier than snob. I went to the dictionary and a ‘snob’ thinks he’s better than everyone else and a ‘connoisseur’ knows what he’s talking about.

Connotatively the meanings seem reversed. People have called me a beer snob because I’m drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and they’re drinking Whatever Light. It’s not mean spirited. They know I don’t care what they drink.

Maybe we could be beer experts, that’s more neutral.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 400

When I hear someone describe themselves as a beer connoisseur, my first thought is a pretentious hipster who probably considers PBR to be "craft" beer. Someone who is a real connoisseur should be able to discuss the nuances of the various styles and their commercial examples. Your friend's significant other is probably just someone who is more open to trying different styles than the average person.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
ElyIrishBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

A "connoisseur" has expertise and passion. An "aficionado" better describes most so-called connoisseurs these days, if you want a fancier word than "fan." All an aficionado needs is passion.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Generally cut people some slack. People throw around terms loosely, and for most it means "good-natured folk who enjoy a good beer"

Some are knowledgeable, some aren't. Who cares. If they enjoy my beer, that's good enough for me.

Quick Reply