Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > So much for the local hb club

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
farmbrewernw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default So much for the local hb club

So after many years of brewing on my own I felt like it was time to join a club, so for one I could talk intelligently about beer with other beer lovers, and two so my wife would not kill me after having enough of hearing about obscure brewing methods and procedures. Last night was my first meeting (likely my last) for the hb club here in Salem. First of all let me say I have no problem with hanging out and having a good time, I just think that for a club meeting there should be a little more structure and meaning. Ok, so first thing I arrive at someones house that I do not know and there are a bunch of guys standing in the garage, I think to myself this must be the social thing before the meeting, well an hour later we are still just hanging out, the president said a few words about the new sweatshirts they have and that's pretty much it. Ok, on to the beer, first off I try someones Irish Red and it is awful, sickingly sweet and very harsh. Everyone keeps saying it's a good beer, I assume just to be nice to the guy that made it, but no one gives any constructive criticism and I feel too new to say anything. Then I start talking to a guy about all grain, he asks me what I get for effeciency and I say I'm pretty much locked around 80%, he says that he never gets more than 65% . So I proceed to talk to him about his methods and he tells me that he looses like 40 degrees within a mashing period like thats not a big deal, oh and he also says he doesn't sparge really but kind of rinses but it's not fly and it's not batch. I'm like "well no wonder you get such crappy numbers". Everyone I talked to with the exception of one guy have the worse brewing methods ever, I drank a lot of crappy beers and only had two that I would say were good. Oh and what really pissed me off is one guy tried my Guinness clone and said that it "tasted thin" right after he had had a half glass of Russian imperial stout . Am I just a snob now or should I have given them more of a chance? After about an hour and a half I sneaked out and went home and had a good pint. Sorry just had to rant cause I'm kind of pissed

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Liquidicem
I love lamp!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sounds like you should try a different club. If those guys are happy with how they do things, good for them, but it doesn't sound like your looking for the same thing as them.

If there is nothing else in your area maybe consider starting your own?

Don't poop in your fermenter when the lid is off and you'll be fine.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
AndrwHock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

wow, that sounds cruddy. Sorry about your bad experience.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I went to my LHBS one day and they were hosting a club meeting in the back and suggested I go back and meet some of the guys. One guy had samples in a clear Corona bottles that must have had 1/2" of yeast sediment in the bottle. They brewed extract only and were working on a "Skull Splitter" beer jacking up the ABV with sugar. I guess I'll just hang out with you guys on HBT!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

It's an easy run to both Oregon Brew Crew and Heart of the Valley. Both are fairly structured and run useful activities for homebrewers. OBC's Collaborator competition is next month and HoV's 26th Annual homebrew competition coming up. Both are 90 minutes each way for me, but worth it.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
eddie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmbrewernw
Am I just a snob now or should I have given them more of a chance? After about an hour and a half I sneaked out and went home and had a good pint. Sorry just had to rant cause I'm kind of pissed
I don't think you're being a snob at all. These guy sound like they're more interested in a circle jerk than anything else. I'd love to start an HBC in my area but I just don't think there's enough interest.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
It's an easy run to both Oregon Brew Crew and Heart of the Valley. Both are fairly structured and run useful activities for homebrewers. OBC's Collaborator competition is next month and HoV's 26th Annual homebrew competition coming up. Both are 90 minutes each way for me, but worth it.
Yeah I think I may just check out HoV, someone suggested I start another club in Salem but there are really good ones to the north and south of me so I don't see where there would be a lot of interest. I guess I was thinking something really local would be good but let me tell you I will never go to another meeting at the Salem club that I will leave unnamed.
I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
and stufffff.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk305
I went to my LHBS one day and they were hosting a club meeting in the back and suggested I go back and meet some of the guys. One guy had samples in a clear Corona bottles that must have had 1/2" of yeast sediment in the bottle. They brewed extract only and were working on a "Skull Splitter" beer jacking up the ABV with sugar. I guess I'll just hang out with you guys on HBT!
I got the feeling from the meeting last night that a lot of these guys were really into the same sort of boosting ABV s!@t that I dealt with in college. These guys were so cracked out on high gravity sweet extract brews that anything clean and refreshing didn't taste like anything to them.

Quote:
and stufffff.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I just joined two clubs around here, and one is a much more social club with very little structure and the other is the traditional homebrew club with a fairly stringent structure. They each have their advantages, but honestly I think I had more fun at the more casual club just shooting the **** with other homebrewers. Of course, it helped that there were many very talented homebrewers at both meetings.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sounds like an opportunity to start a home brew club with real brewers and noobs who want to brew like real brewers.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply