New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > so I thought it was a brew store...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2008, 05:23 AM   #1
illnastyimpreza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default so I thought it was a brew store...

"brew your own beer" the sign said. So I pulled a U'ey and pulled into the parking lot. I went inside all ready to pick up some ingredients to experiment with a new batch....BUT to my dismay, there where no shelves...there was no store clerk...no grains, no yeast, no hops..... (FOR SALE at least) But there was giant brew kettles, and large dispensers of different malts and such...

I walked past another room and saw what looked like lots of little cubbies with all different brew buckets and carboya fermenting away.... "wierd" I thought.

well it turns out, you brew your beer right at the store. They provide you with EVERYTHING you need to brew a normal 5 gallon batch of beer.... fermentor, cooking equipment, and even the grains/malt/hops/water and the different recipee to match EXACTLY what beer you want to brew..... crazzy !

All for a small fee of $120 a batch !!! ............

are they Nuckin Futz ??? for 120 bucks I could pay RETAIL price for an entire brewing and bottling KIT, with EVERYTHING I need, THEN buy all the ingredients, brew a batch, and STILL have money left over.....

whata u guys think ? would u shop there ??

Primary 1: Homemade Cider
Primary 2: IPA
primary 3: empty
primary 4:empty
Kegerator: empty
bottled: Never again... I hate bottling

Primary stirrer and yeast pitcher: my Girlfriend :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008, 05:28 AM   #2
profarm
Recipes 

are suckers...I mean people really paying that much to do that there in the store? Man I wish I would have thought of that...

Old 11-27-2008, 05:42 AM   #3
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Novelty brewers, thats it. I wish there was one of those "brew your own places around" I would pay a decent fee to have a place to brew and then bring it home to ferment. I dont have a turkey fryer and me hose is off during the winter so brewing is hard. Apfelwein on deck it is.!!!

Old 11-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Section1

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess if you have that kind on money to spend it would be nice. Just go brew a batch and let them clean up the mess. I wonder if they bottle it for you too, just come back and pick up the finished product?

Primary 1- Empty
Primary 2- Empty
Secondary - Empty
Drinking - Black Cat Real Lancashire Ale.
Next Up - Black Cat Real Lancashire Ale

Old 11-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

IIRC at least one member of our forum owns or works in one of those brew your own shops..I wouldn't diss it, just because it's not your cup of tea. Betcha BYO shops are gateways for quite a few people to enter into our obsession...it give people a taste.

And not everyone WANTS or has the space for the gear, or is obsessed with beer as we are, and this fill the niche for those whit the income and inclination...

The way I see it, anything opening people's minds about the hobby and beer in general, is a good thing. This is another offshoot of Charlie Papazian's influence, that we have people with buisiness such as these...people living the dream of being bear evangelists...

It's also another opportunity to teach someone that all beer isn't fuzzy and yellow and filtered...

Hey, it's Thanksgiving, rather than trash a legitiment and hopefully profitable venture that exposes people to something beyond bmc and may even spread positive light on homebrewing, we should be grateful that we live in a country where they don't cut your hands off for making alcohol...or that you live in Utah, where it's still illegal..

The way I look at it, a patron of that place, or the residents in a community that has one, in one less person to think,

1)You can go blind from drinking homebrew
2) it's illegal
3) you're making meth in your garage
4) budweiser is the best and only beer in the land...

Hell, I wouldn't dis it, I'd get to know the owner and the staff, maybe bring a few beers of my own to them...You never know when they might have a hard to find hop, or specialty grain in their inventory when you need them and the lhbs is closed, or out of it...or maybe they'll let you use their bottling machine if noone is...I hear those small bottling machines for BYO shops are sweet...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 11-27-2008 at 11:28 AM.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by illnastyimpreza View Post
"brew your own beer" the sign said. So I pulled a U'ey and pulled into the parking lot. I went inside all ready to pick up some ingredients to experiment with a new batch....BUT to my dismay, there where no shelves...there was no store clerk...no grains, no yeast, no hops..... (FOR SALE at least) But there was giant brew kettles, and large dispensers of different malts and such...

I walked past another room and saw what looked like lots of little cubbies with all different brew buckets and carboya fermenting away.... "wierd" I thought.

well it turns out, you brew your beer right at the store. They provide you with EVERYTHING you need to brew a normal 5 gallon batch of beer.... fermentor, cooking equipment, and even the grains/malt/hops/water and the different recipee to match EXACTLY what beer you want to brew..... crazzy !

All for a small fee of $120 a batch !!! ............

are they Nuckin Futz ??? for 120 bucks I could pay RETAIL price for an entire brewing and bottling KIT, with EVERYTHING I need, THEN buy all the ingredients, brew a batch, and STILL have money left over.....

whata u guys think ? would u shop there ??
I know two people who have done this. It was a business deal. They were taken there by a sales rep. and had a great time. They brewed one day, designed a label, and returned in about a month to bottle. They said they had a great time. They were allowed to sample house beers while they were there. Plenty of time for samples = needing a sober sales rep to drive them home. hahahaha.

They haven't continued with the HB process, but I inherited 42 - 22 ounce bottles from the adventure. YEA!

Old 11-27-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

The local brew on premise promises 50-22oz bottles of beer from your own batch. That is closer to a 10gal batch. The costs are around $120 and you don't have to worry about the mess or the equipment. Its not a bad deal if you want to do group brews occasionally or you just want to try the hobby without investing in the equipment.

Myself I just bought the starter it and started brewing. Decided I wanted to do it at home on my own schedule. But I do see the point in brew on premise stores. The people I know who have used them enjoyed the experience and usually the beer also.

Craig

Old 11-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 105

There is one of these in NJ. They will sell ingrediants to home brewers. Did you ask them? I kind of like buying stuff there, I think it might be fresher since they go through so much stuff for the people who brew at their facility.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Just a thought . . .

Say your local pub is interested in your buying some of your beer, but that's not legal. If you ran one of these BYO's and he sent his dishwasher over to help on brew day you could charge him a fee and he gets the beer.

Lots of holes in this one

Old 11-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlater View Post
There is one of these in NJ. They will sell ingrediants to home brewers. Did you ask them? I kind of like buying stuff there, I think it might be fresher since they go through so much stuff for the people who brew at their facility.
Heck even if they didn't NORMALLY sell to homebrewers...a good connection with them could net all matter of freebies or deals....Slugs of yeast...equipment they are getting rid of...who knows.

If I had one in town, I'd even consider working there a couple nights a week, or a couple saturdays a month, just to help out...Imagine bringing in your own batches to bottle on their system at least.

The owner of my tiny lhbs down the street is considering adding that feature to his shop...I told him I'd come in and help out on occassion and trade supplies for labor...Work for four hours and walk out with a 50 pound sack of two row?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 11-27-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply