Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > So I get this stuck sparge...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
HeavyKettleBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default So I get this stuck sparge...

I have friends over today who are into brewing extract kits. I am trying to explain to them all the benefits that AG has to offer, when...I get my first stuck sparge! So I get the bright idea to blow into my runoff tube to see if It is that easy. The valve is completely open and my mouth is soon greeted by +170* sweet wort. My first reaction...well, let's just say I am now brewing a style of chicha. I am sure that the boil will kill anything that was festering on my tongue and I may be enjoying all five gallons of this precious chicha IPA all by my lonesome. Please tell me I am not the only idiot to have tried this and failed. OR, just call me an idiot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
tdogg
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

i've done the same thing, but I hold the tube above the ball valve on the tun. It rarely works, and I usually end up using a plastic pitcher and a big (2x3') nylon straining bag..... Like this morning......

Old 06-25-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg View Post
i've done the same thing, but I hold the tube above the ball valve on the tun. It rarely works, and I usually end up using a plastic pitcher and a big (2x3') nylon straining bag..... Like this morning......
I was quite unprepared for this episode and blowing into the tube only freed up a mouthful. It was quite painful and here I was trying to showcase my skills. I do have two paint strainer bags and should have thought of your approach. I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time. I think that I used too much grain and not enough H20. I have my numbers down but the LHBS crushed 13# instead of 11#. Next time, I'll weigh it up myself. Chalk one up to a lesson learned. Now to go soak my tongue in an ice cold pale ale.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad

I was quite unprepared for this episode and blowing into the tube only freed up a mouthful. It was quite painful and here I was trying to showcase my skills. I do have two paint strainer bags and should have thought of your approach. I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time. I think that I used too much grain and not enough H20. I have my numbers down but the LHBS crushed 13# instead of 11#. Next time, I'll weigh it up myself. Chalk one up to a lesson learned. Now to go soak my tongue in an ice cold pale ale.
Or rice hulls huh? Always work well for me : )

Old 06-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
SkinnyShamrock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The only time I've stuck a sparge homebrewing, I just just wrecked the bed by stirring it all around and re-vorlaufing. Takes a while, but it eliminates all the crap you normally have to go through.

Now when I stick a mash on the 100 bbl system at work...that causes a slight headache.

Jeff, Brewer, Troegs Brewing Company, Harrisburg, PA

"RDWHAHB, right?"
"No, just do it right, damnit!"

Old 06-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I usually hold the tube above the ball lock and start blowing before I open the valve. Haven't had an issue with that. I've only had one stuck sparge though, on my first AG I opened the valve way too far and clogged the braid pretty quick. I do the same thing to clear the hose after I've collected all my runnings so I can pull it off the barb.

Quick Reply