Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > So I finally had Pliny!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 01:50 AM   #1
JefeTheVol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Default So I finally had Pliny!!!

After 2 years of drooling and "pining" for the mother of all brews I finally had a Pliny the Elder at the Memphis Winter Warmer Beerfest. It really was amazing and I loved every drop of it. I think I actually got goosebumps when I was drinking it and now I have an actual taste goal to shoot for with my homebrew. They also auctioned off a case of Pliny but I couldnt afford it...those Memphis boys sure wanted them some Pliny.

Anyway, thanks for listening because SWMBO really was not that enthused about being my DD for the brewfest.
-Jefe-

-Sometimes I feel like I'm up beer creek without a pint glass-

-May the IBU's be with you-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

OK, I admit Pliny is some good beer. Great even, on draft. (I've never been that impressed with the bottled version.) But goosebumps? Seriously? For some reason this beer has attained some kind of mythical status that I can't quite understand. Am I the only one that hasn't drunk the Pliny kool-aid?

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 01-16-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
FerroPlasm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Never tasted it, but when I do I would like it to be a "blind" tasting: poured in an unlabeled glass with a couple other world class IPAs. Then, I'd like to know if I could identify it as the best IPA I've ever had. Every review I've read declares it as world class, though I wonder how many people do so fearing they would be labeled a fool giving anything less than an A+.

The writers of Freakenomincs did a little experiment relating the cost of wine and how drinkers perceived the taste. Almost without fail, when the taster knew the price of the wines, they rated highest price as the best. When price was unknown, the lower price wines were rated much, much higher. Even wine connoisseurs were terrible at choosing the "best" wines.

Now I'll be the first one to say that the variety of taste possibilities for beer is infinitely more diverse than wine. But, I have little doubt the price and rarity of Pliny may help to increase the status and rating. Then again, I could be completely wrong. I've never tasted it.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:16 AM   #4
ceweldon
Recipes 

I've had Pliny off tap in Santa Rosa, it was amazing. The best beer I've ever had. It totally ruined several beers for me, tried drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale later that night (used to be a standard go to for me) and now I can't even drink it anymore. I would love to go to DFH's brewpub and have 90 min off tap because it's the only beer that compares. IMO

Old 01-16-2011, 03:20 AM   #5
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
OK, I admit Pliny is some good beer. Great even, on draft. (I've never been that impressed with the bottled version.) But goosebumps? Seriously? For some reason this beer has attained some kind of mythical status that I can't quite understand. Am I the only one that hasn't drunk the Pliny kool-aid?
I'm with you. Had it for the first time last fall, and while it was great, its reputation exceeds it. I actually thought Blind Pig was better.

... maybe it was just my subconscious justifying not being able to get it out here tho

Old 01-16-2011, 03:28 AM   #6
jwible204
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceweldon View Post
I've had Pliny off tap in Santa Rosa, it was amazing. The best beer I've ever had. It totally ruined several beers for me, tried drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale later that night (used to be a standard go to for me) and now I can't even drink it anymore. I would love to go to DFH's brewpub and have 90 min off tap because it's the only beer that compares. IMO
There's a couple of things I read here that are just plain silly. How can an IPA ruin a Pale Ale for you. In fact, how can any beer "ruin" another beer for you. You suddenly dislike the flavor of SN PA? That sounds stupid. Further, 90 Minute DFH isn't the 'only' beer that compares, not at all. I'm not sure if this is a Troll post or not but it sure sounds like it. I've yet to have Pliny, but rest assured when I have a top-3 beer it doesn't "ruin" other beers I enjoy. The logic, or lack thereof, doesn't make sense.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:30 AM   #7
ndsgr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceweldon View Post
Maharaja by Avery is a close second. I didn't know the hype of Pliny before having it. I'd say it's easily my second favorite beer. The night I had it, it was at RR in Santa Rosa. Same night I had Consecration. Yeah, that's my number 1.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:35 AM   #8
ceweldon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post
There's a couple of things I read here that are just plain silly. How can an IPA ruin a Pale Ale for you. In fact, how can any beer "ruin" another beer for you. You suddenly dislike the flavor of SN PA? That sounds stupid. Further, 90 Minute DFH isn't the 'only' beer that compares, not at all. I'm not sure if this is a Troll post or not but it sure sounds like it. I've yet to have Pliny, but rest assured when I have a top-3 beer it doesn't "ruin" other beers I enjoy. The logic, or lack thereof, doesn't make sense.
I can assure you no troll, but believe what you want. If you go from the RR brewery in SR to having a SN Pale Ale about 2hrs later if is an utter fail and I've found myself no longer able to drink SN Pale Ale. Of course Pliny set me on a path that I did not expect, I now no longer drink Pale Ales and rarely drink anything less than a double IPA.

IMO, 90min is the only thing I've found that is comparable. I've other good IPA's but non compare to the batches of 90 that we constantly get. I would think I was nuts but I had another beer snob with me that agree's.

Once again my opinion if you don't agree don't. But until you've had my experience I would hold off on calling someone a troll.

I also though that RR's Hopfather was a really good beer as well.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:37 AM   #9
ceweldon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsgr View Post
Maharaja by Avery is a close second. I didn't know the hype of Pliny before having it. I'd say it's easily my second favorite beer. The night I had it, it was at RR in Santa Rosa. Same night I had Consecration. Yeah, that's my number 1.
Love Maharaja, only had 2 bottles of it, and can't find it anymore. I don't know why but I'm alway's on the look out for it now.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:38 AM   #10
ndsgr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post
I guess his "IMO", doesn't mean much to you. You are apparently the only one entitled to an opinion.

Quick Reply