Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > So, how does Star San turn into a yeast nutrient?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Elshupacabra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default So, how does Star San turn into a yeast nutrient?

Is there any official explanation for how Star San goes from being a product that kills wild bacteria and yeast cells to becoming a helpful yeast nutrient in the wort?

I've done a few vague Google searches, without much luck.

Bottled: NB's Chocolate Milk Stout

Kegged:

Future brews:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It's all about the concentration. At the prescribed dose, it destroys bacteria cell walls. At dilute concentrations, it mostly dissociates, freeing phosphate for yeast to use. Yeast nutrient that you buy in the store is primarily nitrogen compounds and phosphates- the breakdown products of StarSan are phosphate.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 05-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 4516 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
It's all about the concentration. At the prescribed dose, it destroys bacteria cell walls. At dilute concentrations, it mostly dissociates, freeing phosphate for yeast to use. Yeast nutrient that you buy in the store is primarily nitrogen compounds and phosphates- the breakdown products of StarSan are phosphate.
+1 only edit "concentration, dose, (&) dilute concentration" with pH.

It's all about the pH of the solution, which isn't saying DS was wrong. At pH 3 or higher Star San is an effective sanitizer. As the pH drifts/blends toward neutral (with the wort pH) it becomes nutrient.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Meh. In the end pH is just a measure of H+ concentration. I'll stick by what I said. :P

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 05-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer

+1 only edit "concentration, dose, (&) dilute concentration" with pH.

It's all about the pH of the solution, which isn't saying DS was wrong. At pH 3 or higher Star San is an effective sanitizer. As the pH drifts/blends toward neutral (with the wort pH) it becomes nutrient.
You mean pH 3 or lower, dingbat!!!1

Which isn't saying you were wrong. Or wait, yeah, it kind of does...

Old 05-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
HHP
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just throwing this out there, the dude who made star san says a pH of 3.5 or lower and it kills ****.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Just throwing this out there, the dude who made star san says a pH of 3.5 or lower and it kills ****.
Yes. I suspect that the "dude" (Charlie Talley at Five Star) would be really easy to contact for anyone who requires further clarification on this subject.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

This podcast has been posted every time this question comes up, it's all over the place on here, in fact a transcript of it is even stickied at the top of the equipment/sanitiation section of the forum.

Quote:
March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San
Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br03-29-07.mp3

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
This podcast has been posted every time this question comes up, it's all over the place on here, in fact a transcript of it is even stickied at the top of the equipment/sanitiation section of the forum.
Yes- and the part about bleach is worth a listen, even though I don't go near it for brewing. On brewday, it's Star San all the way.

Acidified bleach is very useful for cleaning/sanitizing things as a cheap expedient. As always, watch your clothes when mixing bleach soluitons. Bleach by itself is a poor sanitizer. Charlie Talley discusses how putting a tablespoon or so of white vinegar into the bleach & water solution makes an effective sanitizing agent. Very useful for things like killing mold.

(NB: never, ever mix vinegar directly into bleach, or you will have the same experience as the British Army that morning in 1915 when the Germans used chlorine gas on them at Ypres....)

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
KFBass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
(NB: never, ever mix vinegar directly into bleach, or you will have the same experience as the British Army that morning in 1915 when the Germans used chlorine gas on them at Ypres....)
if you do, just pee on a rag and breathe through that! That's what the Canadians did while the french and british lines fled!

I believe charlie talley was on the Brewing network as well. He discusses this yeast nutrient thing birefly.

Quick Reply