Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > So did I ruin it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
BBKeys1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default So did I ruin it?

Man... rough brew day. It's my third batch ever and i took the jump from a kit to a recipe that I assembled myself... it's a Young's Double Chocolate Stout clone.
It was not the smoothest brew day I've had, but I think I was able to rectify everything I encountered, until I made one major error...
There was a group of ingredients I was to add to the boil at the 15 minute mark, including several sugars, cocoa, hops, and 4lb 2oz of liquid malt extract. I only forgot one thing... the 4lb 2oz of liquid malt extract... so at the 60 min mark, I stopped the boil and dropped the wort into the ice water bath. It only took me about a minute to realize my error, so I quickly put it back on the stove, brought it back to a boil as fast as possible, stirred in the extract, and boiled it an extra 10-15 minutes before finally stopping the boil and moving into the cooling stage.
So, expert brewers, what's your take? Ruined? What will the extra boil time do to the flavor? Especially an extra 15 minutes on the hops? (Fuggles for 60 min, Kent Goldings for 15)
This was by far the most involved batch I've undertaken yet. I think I'm gonna try and do the same one again, if not next, pretty soon. I'm curious to see what this tastes like in a month.
Also, it was my first try with invert sugar. I made my own, or at least tried to... hopefully that worked too. I just poured it straight into the pot at the beginning of the boil. It wasn't still boiling itself, but it wasn't completely cooled either. Was this okay?

When I'm not brewing beer, I like to wear awesome shirts... sometimes I do both at the same time!

www.holyvintage.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
ihomebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't see a problem here.

The flavour profile may be slightly altered, in that the aroma contribution from the hops will be slightly less, but that will not ruin your beer.

The problem is when you taste it and realize that it is great. You will have to replicate that same procedure every time.

At least it doesn't involve spilling half of it on the floor to get it the same way again

Old 02-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #3
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Sounds fine. Your extra boil time will probably add less than 3 IBus--not noticeable.

I don't think you have a thing to worry about on the invert sugar, extra boil time, or late addition of ingredients.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:34 AM   #4
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but for what its worth I don't think it will make a huge difference depending on the amount of hops you started with. Might end up being your favorite beer. I made a Black IPA a few months ago and love it. The dark malts really balance out the hops.

going 90 I ain't scary cuz I got the virgin mary assuring me that I won't go to hell

Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
BBKeys1
Recipes 

thanks for the input guys! i'll let you know how it turns out! you're right, if it's good it's gonna be a tough one to recreate!

When I'm not brewing beer, I like to wear awesome shirts... sometimes I do both at the same time!

www.holyvintage.com

Old 02-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Irisndfan2
Recipes 

anyway i could get that recipe?? haha

Quick Reply