New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > A snow beer miracle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default A snow beer miracle

Okay not really a miracle. But at the time it was pretty cool. Here's the deal:

My latest batch, my fourth attempt at the "perfect" witbier, turned out funny.

You could call it "Snow Wit" witbier because it lived during fermentation through over 24 hours of no heat from power loss as a result of a snow storm (Nemo). The house was at 39F at one point before the power was restored.

For whatever reason, the wort and beer was always very cloudy for a month. Finally, I just bottled it when I saw it would never stop being cloudy. I skipped cold crashing thinking it negatively.

Weeks went by as the beer conditioned in the bottle. One day I decided to cool the dregs bottle. Meaning the last bottle filled of the batch. It was half full of beer and meant for testing.

I pushed into the freezer to cool quickly. The trouble was, I was distracted and didn't come back to the bottle until the next day and that beer pop was frozen solid.... but sealed. I placed it in the fridge to thaw.

Two days later I pop the top expecting cloudy, flat, disappointing beer.

What did I get? The clearest, perfectly carbonated beer I had ever brewed. I could not smell the beer very well because of a cold I had, but it tasted very clean.

Does anyone know why the beer was so cloudy and how it cleared up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Super cold = super cold crash?

A better question, to me, is why you are worrying about a wit not being clear. Wits, by definition, are cloudy beers - thanks to the wheat and the proteins in the beer.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 03-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

Liked 1656 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

And wjeat beer yeasts being lower flocculation so as to keep the beer a bit cloudy/hazy.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
Cyclman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 288 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Freezing the yeast killed it and made it precipitate out?

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #5
iambeer
Recipes 

To clarify (no pun intended) ...

I don't want it clear, this was by accident.

I guess I didn't make the point clear but I did something wrong in this beer that made it much more than normal hazy. This looks impenetrable.

Which is all the more why accidentally freezing one bottle had such unexpected results.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
iambeer
Recipes 

I opened a second chilled bottled (not frozen/thawed) and it was as murky as the rest.

It's interesting that freezing beer would have that 'super-cold crash' effect on beer.

Freezing beer can clear it so well. None of my homebrews have ever tasted so clean.

I think drinking yeast is over rated. Or maybe it's a denied concession for homebrewers.

Quick Reply