The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Snake Bites banned in England

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
ElevenBrewCo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Snake Bites banned in England

For all you that dont know what snake bites are. Its just a simple half and half. Usually half carlsburg and half strongbow(cider)....pretty much the equivilant to redbull and vodka in potent terms.

From my recent trip back to the mother land i tried to order one with no luck. Its known for well basically getting you abliterated super quick. So pubs finally caught on and were smart enough to ban it so they wouldnt have brawls as much. Since i was a local my bartender she was nice enough to sell me half pint of carlsburg and half pint of strongbow. I think if America caught onto this we would have problems. My dad and I usually drink at a irish pub and resturant and they actually created the snakebite on the menu just for me! My friend drank three pints of them, my pops warned him and needless to say, his new nickname is lightweight.

Just an FYI give it a try sometime!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 02:53 AM   #2
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The original snakebite was Guinness (or another stout) and cider, created as a poor man's black velvet. There's also a shot by the same name, which varies by region; 75% whiskey and 25% lime juice is the most common, but there are hundreds of variations.

A cider/stout (or carlsberg/cider) drink isn't actually all that strong; the strength of any half-and-half drink is always less than the strength of the stronger half (midway between that and the weaker half).

It's usually considered a sessionable low-ABV drink (if anything a little girly--not that I care, when you're in the right mood they're tasty!), not something that'll screw you up quickly.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 01-12-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Wow, this thread makes me question whether I ever want to leave Wisconsin or not. In Texas they called a 6-pack a "case" (and seemed to think it was a lot of beer) and in Ohio they had no idea what bitters were or how to make a Whiskey Old Fashioned. I have heard tale that some states limit the number of drinks you can order in an hour.. and don't even get me started on that whole 4-loko thing! So college kids got alcohol poisoning? Boohoo, at UW Madison we called that Friday night.

Rant and/or rave.. Other places are strange ;-)

Old 01-12-2011, 04:01 AM   #4
ruppe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm there with you tipfeister. What do they call a box with 24 bottles in it? I hear it's real hard to find Brandy outside Wisconsin too. And.....I thought Thursday night was the night for house parties in Mad Town.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
HerotBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbypatty View Post
For all you that dont know what snake bites are. Its just a simple half and half. Usually half carlsburg and half strongbow(cider)....pretty much the equivilant to redbull and vodka in potent terms...

My dad and I usually drink at a irish pub and resturant and they actually created the snakebite on the menu just for me! My friend drank three pints of them, my pops warned him and needless to say, his new nickname is lightweight.

Just an FYI give it a try sometime!
I'll give it a try with some of my homemade cider sometime.

But like SumnerH I am a little confused. Draft Strongbow in the UK is 4.5% ABV, and Carlsberg Lager is about 4%. So you'd end up with a 4.25% pint if you mixed equally, with none of the "energy" components or caffeine of a Red Bull and Vodka.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
sgillespie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is that 4-Loko for the british?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In my neck-of-the-woods, snakebites are Yukon Jack and lime juice!

Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
BeernuT100
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

We have snakebite at our Flying Saucer.

Maybe you redcoats should lay off the booze.

-bn

Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
Khemikal
Recipes 

I've ordered a snakebite in 5 different states and all have come the same way, half Harp and half cider. The states I've ordered these in are North Carolina, Virginia, Florida, Tennessee, and Kentucky. Maybe this is the southern way of making them?

Fermenting:
--Nothing
Bottled:
--Belgian Wit

Old 01-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpfeister View Post
Wow, this thread makes me question whether I ever want to leave Wisconsin or not. In Texas they called a 6-pack a "case" (and seemed to think it was a lot of beer) and in Ohio they had no idea what bitters were or how to make a Whiskey Old Fashioned.
I've lived in Texas since I was 3 and I have never heard a six pack referred to as a case. A case is a twelve pack. It can also be used generically for any box of canned beer, soda, etc. as well.

I'm sure some bars in Ohio know what an old fashioned is, but like in Texas you probably have to go to more upscale bars where the bartenders know how to make mixed drinks beyond rum and coke and cosmos.

Quick Reply