Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Small Krausen forming after adding oak cubes, why?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
brianjohn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Small Krausen forming after adding oak cubes, why?

I'm working on a bourbon barrel porter. It started out at 1.062 and ended at 1.026 after two weeks in the primary. Despite many attempts to rouse the yeast I wasn't able to knock it down any lower. I transferred it into the secondary, waited a week and added a bunch of oak cubes and 16 oz of bourbon (the oak cubes soaked in the bourbon for 3 days). It's been about a week since I added those and I just noticed that the fermentation lock is bubbling relatively rapidly (1/second) and a slight krausen is forming.

Any thoughts on why this would happen? Is there anything I can/should do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Could just be the yeast got back to work after being stirred up in the transfer.
Not much to do but let it go do its thing. Check the gravity see if it helped you knock a few of those extra points off.
Other than that just have a home brew and wait for it to finish up.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
crazyirishman34
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 37 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 87

I would bet that it is just the oak cubes creating nucleation points for the dissolved CO2 to form bubbles. I would not worry about anything just take a hydrometer reading and if it holds steady that is what is going on.

On a different note have you thought of pitching some US-05 to get your beer to finish at a lower gravity?

Old 11-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
brianjohn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyirishman34 View Post
I would bet that it is just the oak cubes creating nucleation points for the dissolved CO2 to form bubbles. I would not worry about anything just take a hydrometer reading and if it holds steady that is what is going on.

On a different note have you thought of pitching some US-05 to get your beer to finish at a lower gravity?
Thanks. I thought about re-pitching but was told that 1.026 wasn't that high for this beer and it wasn't worth it.

Quick Reply