Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Small Beer, Big Taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Wynne-R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Default Small Beer, Big Taste

Stone Levitation

Who’s had this beer? I just tried it and it’s amazing. It’s called ‘Levitation’ because they are defying gravity. Get it? Stone is, of course showing off.

I take it as a nod to English bitters, with a very American twist.

I’ve been brewing 1060's lately, but I might have to dial it down and see what I can do. It’s interesting territory.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 156

21st Amendment with Bitter American and Notch with their Session ale are doing similar things. I have been working on my own low gravity ale, with mixed results. Sometimes I want several beers without getting hammered.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:46 AM   #3
bighorn_brew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramitt View Post
21st Amendment with Bitter American and Notch with their Session ale are doing similar things. I have been working on my own low gravity ale, with mixed results. Sometimes I want several beers without getting hammered.
I've tried both the 21st bitter american and stone levitation and for me the bitter american by a huge margin, plus, the bitter american is sooo much cheaper....I just did the clone for bitter american and I have to say....dang tasty. I can't do side by side but my clone is the best beer I've probably ever made.....

I am probably going to make a 1.5% beer based on the "drivers choice" ale in the back of the Belgian book by the AHA....

Old 10-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
keesh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think Yooper made a thread while back about making a small beer. Definitely something I would like to do soon. And why not? It is cheaper if you're doing extract, and if you're doing all grain, parti-gyle makes it even more cost effective. If you're harvesting your yeast, you are basically getting a free batch for the cost of the hops (and water if you factor that) which I think is awesome.

edit:

looks like it wasn't yooper, she just contributed I think, here is the thraed I believe I was thinking of

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/extremely-low-gravity-beers-anyone-has-experience-brewing-them-213073/

Primary - 1 Gal JAOM, Belgian IPA, Pumpkin ale
Secondary - 5-way split Breakfast Imperial Stout, 2 Gal Traditional mead
Bottled - Kolsch, Pliny the Younger clone, Centennial Blonde, Alpine's Nelson clone, Apfelwein, QuicknDirty Cider
On deck - EdWort's Haus Pale

Old 10-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
bighorn_brew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Small is the new big....

Old 10-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Honestly, I think "levitation" is more of a nod to Stone making a "light" beer (fizzy yellow beer is for pussies and all that). I have to say, though, that of all the beers I've had both in the bottle and on draft, this one is the most different. I can't drink the bottled version, but will order it any time I see it in a bar.

My ordinary bitter (OG 1.035) is honestly my favorite beer I've ever made. It's just excellent. I'm actually not the hugest british beer fan, but I do love me some bitters of all strengths. That OB is pretty fantastic though. It's awesome to be able to drink six pints of something and not rant on HBT.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 10-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 20

daksin have you posted this recipe on here before?

Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 443

I've got the ingredients for a Rye Bitter that I'm planning on brewing soon. I'm pretty psyched to try it out.

Bottled - a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Keesh thanks for the link, I missed that the first time around. That’ll keep me busy for a while.

I like bitters and I’ve had some lovely milds. However, it is easy to tire of them as flat and boring. I think that style evolved at least partly as a reaction to high British alcohol tax.

It’s nice to see something going on besides high gravity hopbombs. C hops do a good job covering up the beer.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
keesh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think maybe a low gravity Belgian would be nice, as a nod to the 'single' that monks would drink but never sold to the public, like Redemption by Russian River except even low gravity. The fruity/spicy esters of the Belgian yeast could do really well to bring the beer alive at the low gravity. You'd probably want to pitch very low and ferment warm to make sure your esters form well in the low gravity environment.

Primary - 1 Gal JAOM, Belgian IPA, Pumpkin ale
Secondary - 5-way split Breakfast Imperial Stout, 2 Gal Traditional mead
Bottled - Kolsch, Pliny the Younger clone, Centennial Blonde, Alpine's Nelson clone, Apfelwein, QuicknDirty Cider
On deck - EdWort's Haus Pale

Quick Reply