Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > smack pack came smacked

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
Weizenheimer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default smack pack came smacked

Just received my order and the yeast pack is swollen up to about 85%. From my experience this means the smack pack inside is broken. How long can the yeast sit like this before I use it? Should I just contact the supplier and request new yeast be shipped free of charge?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Worst case Id think the yeast go dormant... so, it is still useable, just like any liquid yeast.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

The advice from Wyeast is to put it in the refrigerator (like any other smack pack) until you are ready to use it. Warm it to room temp before pitching into a starter or beer.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Worst case scenario: it's been like that for a while. The pressure inside is somewhat significant. Would the yeast quality be less-than-desired due to the built up pressure exerted on them?

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 02-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

No. Pressure is only a factor when the yeast are active (ie, you don't want a lot of pressure in the carboy).

quote from the wyeast faq:

Quote:
If you have activated a package but can’t use it right away, simply allow the package to swell and then refrigerate the package. The yeast will survive for extended periods if refrigerated. Before using, take the package out of the refrigerator and allow it to come up to room temperature before using. It is best to use the yeast as soon as possible.
You don't need new yeast. If you are worried, make a starter. What is the date of manufacture? I've used an 8 month old pack (with a starter of course).

Last edited by Edcculus; 02-25-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply