Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Slightly overshot my estimate OG...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
imaguitargod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Slightly overshot my estimate OG...

Well, I slightly overshot my estimated Original Gravity. The silly free online converter said my brew will have a OG of 1.053....well....it came in at 1.1!!!!!!!! If my estimate is correct, my beer will come in at around 11% abv!!!! :shocked:

I hadn't planed on it, but looks like this will be Passow's Imperial Pumpkin Ale!!!! Pleasent surprises are always the best...

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

could you post the recipe.... looking to do an interesting imperial something before my short SC winter is over... pumpkin might fill the intersting bill.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
could you post the recipe.... looking to do an interesting imperial something before my short SC winter is over... pumpkin might fill the intersting bill.
No problem, I'll post it when I get home in a few hours! If the taste of the hydromitor reading sample is any indication...this is going to be one tasty brew!

"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Old 12-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds strange. What calc did you use. They formulas to come up with Gravity Estimates are very simple and almost impossible to mess up like that.

Maybe your wort wasn't fully stirred? My first batch came out at 1.12 when it was supposed to be 1.05.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Sounds strange. What calc did you use. They formulas to come up with Gravity Estimates are very simple and almost impossible to mess up like that.

Maybe your wort wasn't fully stirred? My first batch came out at 1.12 when it was supposed to be 1.05.
I used Tasty Brew's calculator. They didn't have an option for the pumpkin...but I'm pritty sure the pumpkin wouldn't add too much to the OG.

The wort was definitly well stirred, I made a point of that.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
Here you go!

Passow’s Imperial Pumpkin Beer
(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains and pumpkin)
OG = 1.1 FG = 1.013(?) ABV = 11% (?)

Ingredients
4 lbs. (0.57 kg) Muntons Light dried malt extract
0.5lbs Caramel 60/Crystal 60
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) 2-row pale malt
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) CaraPils malt
6 lbs. (2.3–2.7 kg) pumpkin (cubed)
1oz Cascade hops (60 mins)
1 tlbs of FRESHLY MADE pumpkin pie spice
4lbs of Belgium Amber Candi Sugar
Dried ale yeast
0.75 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step
Slice in halp and deseed pumpkin, lightly coat the pumpkin with oil (I used expensive high grade Almond oil). Cook pumpkin in the oven at 350F until brown. Place in pot and smash/mash skins and all after it’s cooked. Boil in water for 60 minutes at 160F then cool. Heat separate pot of water to 150 °F. Place crushed grains in steeping bag and steep grains at 150-155 °F (67 °C) for 45 minutes. Remove grains, add dry malt extract and hops. Boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at the start of the boil. Start adding a pound at a time of the Belgium Candi at the 25 minute mark. Add the spices with 10 minutes left in the boil. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter (pour the wort and pumpkin water through your spent grains). Top up to 5 gallons (19 L) with water. Aerate and pitch yeast. Ferment at 65-69 °F.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
dontman
Recipes 

Without taking the Pumpkin into account I get ~1.070 OG. As a standard I get .030 for the 6 lbs of pumpkin. So I would put your OG at ~ 1.10 so 1.11 is totally within reason.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:30 AM   #8
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Without taking the Pumpkin into account I get ~1.070 OG. As a standard I get .030 for the 6 lbs of pumpkin. So I would put your OG at ~ 1.10 so 1.11 is totally within reason.
So that means the calculator isn't that accurate....that's what I get for going free....but it gives me a slight idea for brews....

Old 12-02-2008, 02:42 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

What kind of yeast did you use? I'd be concerned that this ale will finish up at about 7% ABV due to alcohol toxicity of the yeast, leaving you with a sweet unfinished beer. Some ale yeast strains will ferment up to 10% or so, though.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:58 AM   #10
dontman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
What kind of yeast did you use? I'd be concerned that this ale will finish up at about 7% ABV due to alcohol toxicity of the yeast, leaving you with a sweet unfinished beer. Some ale yeast strains will ferment up to 10% or so, though.
True but easy to fix with another pitch of a more appropriate yeast.

Quick Reply