Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Slight soda taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 03:05 AM   #1
jhollender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Slight soda taste

My second batch of extract beer has aged almost 3 weeks in the bottle. I started drinking them, but I notice they have a slight soda aftertaste. It seems like they have a lot of carbonation at first, but then it sort of disappears. Any ideas for the cause? I've done a lot of searching on the forums, but I can't find an answer to this.

I cleaned everything with either bleach or Oxi Clean, rinsed thoroughly, sanitized with Easy Clean. The brew fermented for 2 weeks in the primary, and I used the specified amount of priming sugar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What do you mean by a slight soda aftertaste? Sweet?

That usually happens when you underhop or the beer wasn't done fermenting when you bottled.

You mentioned 2 weeks in the primary, but that's it. Did you do a secondary? How long?

Carbonation/head will usually disappear quickly if there is soap residue on the glasses. This includes a film when using a streak-free soap in dishwashers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply