Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Single vessel brewing. Anything I'm missing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
hugenjapan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Single vessel brewing. Anything I'm missing?

I'm fabricating a 36 gallon pot to do BIAB in. I will be using a 60,000 btu burner and insulating/cladding the sides of the pot. I will also fabricate my own immersion chiller and my own loose fitting lid for fermenting in the same pot. Is there anything I'm missing or should know about before I get in too deep? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
Oddball
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugenjapan View Post
I'm fabricating a 36 gallon pot to do BIAB in. I will be using a 60,000 btu burner and insulating/cladding the sides of the pot. I will also fabricate my own immersion chiller and my own loose fitting lid for fermenting in the same pot. Is there anything I'm missing or should know about before I get in too deep? Thanks
36 gallons? Are you using a bed sheet as the bag? Get yourself a winch to hold it up for draining.... In all seriousness though, you should give us a list of what you have in order for us to give you input on whether or not you are missing anything.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
hugenjapan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Well I'm not sure about the bag yet but if I have to ill use multiple bags. As for other parts I work at a company that makes craft brewing systems so I have all the fittings (tri-clamps, DINs etc..). So far all I have done is rolled a sheet of 12 gauge stainless (22" tall x 22" OD diameter) and cut a circular bottom. I welded them together to make a full pot and have started to roll 11 gauge x 1.5" flat bar to 22" ID to go around the top and bottom edges of the pot to have an edge away from the tank for cladding around the insulation. I will be draining from the side with a 1.5" tube and ball valve with a tri clamp on the end (mainly just for kegging or whatever I want to do after fermentation. I was told I don't need to vorlauf or sparge so I haven't thought about that. I also don't really need a pump (I think) since I'm not switching to other tanks. I could either weld a thermowell (make them all the time) or weld a thermometer directly in (not sure if this would wreck it or not). I could put a sight glass in if I want but I'm not sure if I'll need one. I could make a paddle aswell. And the immersion chiller seems pretty simple to me so I'll make that. I also have a small stainless mesh hop cylinder with two tri-clamps on either end that I'm making. And I can't think of anything else I need so if there's anything else please let me know

Old 10-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Sounds like you have the skills and materials to build something like this:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/biab...t-pump-310459/

but sized like:

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

Old 10-12-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
Oddball
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Unless you are planning on open fermentation, I would suggest something more than just a loose fitting lid. Come to think of it. I am not sure that you should ferment in the same vessel that you boiled in. Someone with a little more knowledge should confirm, but I was under the impression that you should remove the wort from the hot/cold break proteins for fermentation otherwise it could give off flavors...

What are you planning on doing for fermentation temp control and carbing?

Old 10-12-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
hugenjapan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Haha! Ya I could if I find a mesh bag big enough to justify making that.. Otherwise multiple bags will have to do.. Or a basket with holes small enough to strain.. I make the false bottoms for the 5-30 bbl craft breweries so making a basket shouldn't be too hard

Old 10-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #7
benco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

If your making a 36 gal pot, why not go ahead and make a mlt! That's to big for biab! Being you have the material and tools!

Old 10-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #8
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugenjapan View Post
Haha! Ya I could if I find a mesh bag big enough to justify making that.. Otherwise multiple bags will have to do.. Or a basket with holes small enough to strain.. I make the false bottoms for the 5-30 bbl craft breweries so making a basket shouldn't be too hard
Take a look at the thread for the picture above. Looks like he's using the basket from the turkey fryer and puts his bag inside. Lets him "crane" the bag up without damage.

This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

Old 10-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #9
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 517 Posts
Likes Given: 165

36 gallon BIAB.... Look into hydraulics to lift the spent grain out of the pot. Maybe something like they use on those Alaskan King Crab boats to haul the crab pots.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:37 AM   #10
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

"Deadliest Brew" coming to a channel near you!

Quick Reply