HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Simplicity; or, What America Has Done to Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #31
z987k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The only thing I have against session beers is they are usually priced the same as their stronger brethren... until you get really stronger.

$4 for a Bitter or $4 for a melt you face IIPA or a massive RIS. Um.... not that I don't like bitter, but.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #32
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Why can't we do both?

If you don't like one or the other, don't drink it.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #33
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
The only thing I have against session beers is they are usually priced the same as their stronger brethren... until you get really stronger.

$4 for a Bitter or $4 for a melt you face IIPA or a massive RIS. Um.... not that I don't like bitter, but.
I agree with that.

if you're gonna charge me $12 for a 4-pack of barleywine/strong ale, don't charge me $8 for a 6-er of 4% bitter

Old 02-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #34
dogbar
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
I agree with that.

if you're gonna charge me $12 for a 4-pack of barleywine/strong ale, don't charge me $8 for a 6-er of 4% bitter
Someone with some actual knowledge could probably chime in here, but I'd bet the profit margins on the small beers are what keep the prices more reasonable on the big ones.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #35
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
The American craft beer umbrella contains the best and worst beers I've ever had. Extremeness probably has a lot to do with that. My biggest bone to pick is with shifting definitions. Today's Pale Ale is what an IPA used to be. And today's IPAs make the old Sister Star of the Sun recipe took tame. Many stouts are stouter than their old imperial brethren. And you certainly can't trust fruit to be subtle anymore. I love trying new beers but the noise to signal ratio in American craft brewing is huge and only getting larger. For every great craft beer I find, there are 5 or 6 others that are decent at best, and 3 or 4 that make me wish I had just bought a 6er of Coors instead.

I'm all for being as simple or extreme as you'd like. This is America, right? But what I don't like is pushing the boundaries and not being clear about that on the packaging. Dogfish does a great job of letting me know right from the start that they're a little extreme. Dale's Pale Ale? That should be labeled an IPA before someone puts their eye out.
Completely agree with this. American craft brew has kind of jumped the style shark.

When I buy a brown ale, I want a brown ale, not an IPA with some chocolate malt in it. If you want to brew an IPA with some chocolate malt in it, great, but don't tell me its a Brown Ale.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #36
Steelers77
Vendor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think the price has alot to do with storage and brewing capacity. The $8 six pack is only $1.33 per bottle, and the $12 four pack is $3 bucks a bottle. Looking at it from their point of view the barley wine is more malt, but more importantly is also more time in a storage tank not allowing them to brew more beer so there is a bottleneck. Also they have to make a decent profit on the smaller stuff so they have the ability to make and sell the special beers. Sam Calagione said in the documentry Beer Wars, that if it came down to it he would get rid of his biggest beers first because of the price to make them. So pay a little extra for the "normal brews" and still get teh pleasure of drinking the special ones. IMHO

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Old 02-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #37
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts

Quote:
people were making crazy herb/chocolate/spruce beers well before the germans started telling people how to make "beer"

look up Midas Touch from dogfish head. reinheitsgebot is like the american union; originally set up to protect the drinker, now used to hinder the drinker (in some respects)

i pity the german brewer who can't explore his creativity because some a$$hats in the 15th century tried ripping people off.
True, but look what they perfected in those years since then...

Old 02-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #38
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Recipes 

Liked 339 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
people were making crazy herb/chocolate/spruce beers well before the germans started telling people how to make "beer"

look up Midas Touch from dogfish head. reinheitsgebot is like the american union; originally set up to protect the drinker, now used to hinder the drinker (in some respects)

i pity the german brewer who can't explore his creativity because some a$$hats in the 15th century tried ripping people off.
Reinheitsgebot hasn't been in place for a long time. If German brewers are still sticking with it, it's because of tradition (not necessarily a bad thing).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #39
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 362

wasn't it only removed in the late 80's?

but yeah, it's not there anymore. but when you get sworn in, you're sworn in for life. so it's more "sticking to their word" kind of thing.

also note, i generally despise chocolate/fruit/herb/wtf beers in general. malt+hops is good enough for me

Old 02-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #40
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Liked 462 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Tradition. hmmmmm

I have nothing against all the hop bombs and malt monsters out there, each to their own. However, apart from a few exceptions such as SNPA there seems to be a lot of missing links between traditional brews and extreme brews. I think it would be nice if there were more "inbetweenys" out there.

Does this dress make my willy look big? ~ Ben Franklin

Quick Reply