Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Simplicity; or, What America Has Done to Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #21
BlueSunshine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As a whole, Americans are making the most complex and innovative beer on the planet. Considering that our international reputation in beer is lackluster due to horrid macro brews we produce, the micro brewing phenomenon should be a welcomed by any beer fan. We produce everything from the simple to the ultra complex and everything in between, and that's fine with me.

Bottled: Three Pistols, Spaced Out Saison, Amarillo Armadillo
Conditioning:
Fermenting: GTFO Stout
Gone: Sheffield Pale Ale, Donut Shop Coffee Stout,Hop Rape Imperial IPA, Hooston's Irish Red Beer'd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #22
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well said.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #23
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 387

people were making crazy herb/chocolate/spruce beers well before the germans started telling people how to make "beer"

look up Midas Touch from dogfish head. reinheitsgebot is like the american union; originally set up to protect the drinker, now used to hinder the drinker (in some respects)

i pity the german brewer who can't explore his creativity because some a$$hats in the 15th century tried ripping people off.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #24
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Ive been brewing for over two years now and the first year was over the top everything. now I love my dry hopped pales so much that I have been making them at 4%-5%. This lets me drink and enjoy more without getting drunk.

I think the craft beer Ind. is the same,they go big,push the bounderies. try new things to get a name. but will still put out a good ale.

as soon as they start putting more money in adds than the beer then its over.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #25
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm not saying these beers are not good, I was saying sometimes it is taken to far, or better yet, not executed well. Some brewers are doing it because it is the IT thing to do.

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew

Old 02-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #26
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2259 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
people were making crazy herb/chocolate/spruce beers well before the germans started telling people how to make "beer"

look up Midas Touch from dogfish head. reinheitsgebot is like the american union; originally set up to protect the drinker, now used to hinder the drinker (in some respects)

i pity the german brewer who can't explore his creativity because some a$$hats in the 15th century tried ripping people off.
I've heard tell that Reinheitsgebot was actually set up to prevent brewers from avoiding taxes on these ingredients by using alternatives...

Anyway, I feel that we are now starting to be able to enjoy, not just beer that used to be available, but beer that defies classic definitions. I think God that there is enough variety, and enough sharing of information, to allow brewers of all size and ability to make beer ranging from "bland", to "gross".

You choose what you like. At least it's there.

And some people will never be satisfied with what is already out there. They will want to do what has never been done before. Good on em, I say! I may never want to try another Chili Pepper Coffee Stout, but someone is sure to like it.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 02-05-2010, 03:12 AM   #27
Batinse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ha. Thanks for your responses guys. Anyway, the America thing was pretty much tongue in cheek--I really wanted to praise the humility and grace of simple beers. I was looking at my usual stock of homebrew, and realized that while brewing an extreme beer might be fun, the beers I like to drink are always "boring." And by boring, I mean beautiful: a Pilsner (or, in my case, a Kölsch, since I can't lager ), a Stout (Oatmeal or Dry only, please. Leave your milk at home.) A Pale Ale/Bitter, and a SM IPA. Probably a Hefeweizen in the summer, while supplies last. I'll usually have one "specialty" beer at all times, but even these will be elegant in their simplicity: an Oktoberfest, an Imperial Stout (my one weakness, the exception that proves the rule, but a classic style nevertheless), a Dunkelweizen. I've added fruit only a handful of times (all with delicious success, I should say) and only then sparingly.

I do want to say, however, when it comes to beer ideology, the Imperial Pilsner is akin to the gulag. Why? Just: why?

Bottled: Alec's Ale, Alec's Ale X, Nut Very Good Brown Ale, Pliny the Elder Clone, Admiral Longshank's Oatmeal Stout

Old 02-05-2010, 05:33 AM   #28
l1ranger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post

as soon as they start putting more money in adds than the beer then its over.
me thinks buzzkill might be on to something here.

don't get me wrong, there are times when I will gladly accept a BMC, especially if its a schlitz, but they just aren't the same.

I'd never seen an ad for sierra nevada, stone, great lakes,weasal boy, bells, two brothers, founders, lagunitas, etc. the beers sell themselves, as it should be

Old 02-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #29
TokyoRoad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1ranger View Post
me thinks buzzkill might be on to something here.

don't get me wrong, there are times when I will gladly accept a BMC, especially if its a schlitz, but they just aren't the same.

I'd never seen an ad for sierra nevada, stone, great lakes,weasal boy, bells, two brothers, founders, lagunitas, etc. the beers sell themselves, as it should be
You need to open your eyes, I've seen ads for most of those beers in various publications.

Marketing in a saturated and easily "me-too" market is the only way to differentiate. You can make the greatest product in the world, but if no one knows about it I rate your chances of success as very low.

Beers do *not* sell themselves.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #30
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 404 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
There was a great article in BYO a few months back on Mild ales. The author was praising the simplicity and session quality of Milds, and lamenting the fact that there are not too many session strength beers in the market (below 4% and easy to drink in quantity). He also said that as craft brewers, we had to push the limit, to go over the top to find our limit. The beginning of the craft movement was to make beer as different from BMC as possible. While there will always be room for the giant Oak Aged Imperial Stouts and other over the top beers, I think the craft movement on whole is starting to embrace session beers.
Good post. I hope that last part is true because I grew tired of trying craft brews in the stores that always seemed to be competing with each other for over the top character.

Quick Reply