Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Simple Rules for Drinking My Homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #61
downtown3641
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 42 Posts

It probably says something about the quality of people with whom I choose to associate, but I tend not to have a lot of issues when it comes to people drinking my beer. Almost all of my friends drink craft beer or are willing to accept recommendations for beer they might enjoy. Many of my friends brew. None of my friends will request a beer that they don't plan on drinking. I'll pour beer for my guests from the bottles because it's kind of a pain and it's part of being a good host. I also don't care if my guests rinse their bottles. They shouldn't be expected to do the cleaning, though they're more than welcome to if they desire.

For people claiming that some people are upright, it comes down to expecting your guests to be considerate human beings. It's not so much about rules as it is expecting your friends to be gracious guests. Personally, I won't associate with people who are inconsiderate, so it's not a problem.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #62
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My sister in law's boyfriend is an offender to me. He loves Southern Tier (lives in the same town as the brewery) and enjoys craft beer in general. When we all visit my in-laws I bring down a gaggle of full bottles. He (the boyfriend) will have a glass of my beer and compliment it nicely. No issues there. But he sips it slowly, nursing the glass to no end and then they leave...his glass still half full on the table. The first time I thought maybe it was a had-to-drive thing, no problem. But it's been every time thereafter. He usually does the driving home but these 'events' last 5 hours. I think one glass could be processed in that amount of time. I may not let him have any next time, or maybe just a half glass. It's a letdown when someone doesn't finish a glass of my beer. If you don't like it that's fine. I'd much rather be told it's not that great, and I'll finish the glass myself and pour you something commercial. But to say it's very good and then not finish it just feels bad, ya know?

Otherwise I have no problems. I don't give beer out to people because we don't have any friends (it's not as depressing as that sounded), and my father in law brings up bombers rinsed and ready to be filled whenever they visit. If the in-laws don't care for a beer (they are my main customer) they say so and have something else, no love lost. Kyle

Old 01-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #63
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Either I make really good beer or I have really good friends. They all love it and when they introduce me to one of their friends they almost always say, "this guy makes awesome beer."

Old 01-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #64
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBrewer View Post
PS: Anyone know an online brew store that sells awesome? I have some stout in secondary, I added to much sucks during the boil, and now I need to back-awesome it.
Haaaaahaaaa!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #65
drainbamage
Something something danger zone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 1005

My craft beer-drinking friends are all pretty cool about not wasting my stuff, and the ones that aren't as into it will at least usually try a sample before they move on to a full bottle. Or, they've tried and disliked enough to know they're safer with their BMC.

It does kind of bug me when I give a 6-pack to somebody and they don't bring the empty bottles back (unless they are fellow homebrewers and reciprocate with their brew later...that's totally acceptable). It's just a minor pet peeve though, I'm not going to get all butt-hurt stop sharing with anyone over it.

I don't mind criticism, as long as it's constructive. If someone can tell me, "yeah, it could use more late addition hops for flavor/aroma", I can handle that a lot better than, "ewwwww, it's too dark!" or just flat-out, "it sucks." I feel like I tend to be my own harshest critic and pick out little errors that most people don't mind, but if people are just telling me what they think I want to hear, I won't know where to improve.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #66
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I see it like this; It's MY HOBBY. I wouldn't expect anybody to come into my house and know anything about it. Sure, they know what beer is but they don't know exactly what goes into it. Chances are, their 'scope of view' is 'open bottle, pour, drink'. It would be like me going to my fathers house (he's an airplane model builder) and saying, "Hey, those models are pretty cool looking!" I might even be able to identify what type of airplane it is but, beyond that, I couldn't tell you much more. I wouldn't be able to relate to any point of his hobby beyond what I know. The same goes for this hobby. If my friends can come into my house and say, "Hey, that IPA is pretty good!", I would be ecstatic! Why? Because my friends aren't beer enthusiasts. They're beer drinkers! The fact that they identified it AS an IPA would be impressive to me.

On that same note, I would rather have somebody come into my house, pour a beer, take a drink and admit they don't like it, grab something else and enjoy themselves rather than hang on to the same beer for hours because they're afraid of offending me. I invited them over to have a good time, not be overly concerned about what's in their glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!
People Like This 
Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #67
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I don't have any rules really.....I'm also like it when someone gives their opinion on my beer, whether good or bad, I work very hard on my recipes and flavors, like to know how its received. If bad I usually question them, as to why they feel that way, and explain the process and ingredients, and common faults or off flavors that beer can get and why. I like for people to be educated, about beer, that way in the future when I get feedback it's a whole lot more useful to me. I have , on occasion, had people come back to me with this knowledge, after trying several commercial offerings, and ask to try mine again. This time with more positive things to say.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #68
MagooBrew
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts

Drink what you pour. Its that simple. It does not matter if its homebrew, craft beers, or a BMC, you are welcome to it but drink what you get

"A flute with no holes is not a flute......
....... and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish."

Ty Webb

Old 01-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #69
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I guess the only rule I care about, is that someone tells me honestly whether they like it or not. I took a 6 of stout to bro-and-sis-in-law, found out later that she didn't like it - too strong, had to add salt (!!), etc. No biggie, I just know what to bring now, which is "anything but stout". I care more that my friends like what they drink, than that they drink what I like.

Oh and as for rinsing the bottles, pfft. I have so many bottles now, that if a few end up in the recycling bin, I don't really care.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #70
grasshopperfirestarter
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I work at a restaurant on the weekends. There are four managers always asking for a beer. I gave each of them one of my latest brews which was a strawberry Belgian ale. Im not really bugged but I saw one manager throw her bottle in her drawer laying it on its side, which is probably going to make the beer hazy with sediment. (Hoping it settles again when she chills it.) I flinched for a second but realized she probably wouldn't even know the difference. Its not like she was going to check the beer for clarity before drinking. I haven't received any of the bottles back and haven't gotten any feed back but I'm good.

"I'd Tap That!"
HaPpY yEaSt HaPpY fEaSt

=BEARDEN BREWERY=

Quick Reply