Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Simple Rules for Drinking My Homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #51
dcbc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
This.

When they say they just want the beer, I tell them I'll do it, but they have to pick out a extract kit from a list I give them (NB or Midwest) and pay me that price. Plus $50 deposit on kegs or $1 deposit per bottle. That usually pretty well kills the inquiry because they're usually just trying to get beer below BMC prices. Last guy wasn't happy that I wanted to charge him just under $100 for a corny of Shiner Bock clone.

The kegs are always free to tap at my house, though.
The funny part about that is that a 1/2 barrel of Shiner is about $99. Works even better for your strategy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #52
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 529 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbc View Post
The funny part about that is that a 1/2 barrel of Shiner is about $99. Works even better for your strategy.
If I thought this guy had the potential to drink 1/2 bbl of Shiner Bock, I'd certainly dish it out to him 1 corny at a time. He likes it, but I don't think he likes it that much.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 01-25-2013, 12:40 AM   #53
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaworm69 View Post
"I don't want a glass, I'll just drink it out of the bottle" Bugs the hell out of me!
This is a sure sign of a craft beer novice, or a BMC drinker. People who appreciate good beer know that smell and sight are a huge part of what makes a good beer good. You cannot see or smell beer when it is in the bottle, and this causes an incomplete tasting experience.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #54
Mike37
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

No sneaking off and dumping a whole glass down the drain hoping I won't notice. I will catch you, corner you, and kick your rear end.

Especially after I named and described in detail all of my different beers.

Now that I've started kegging, everyone gets a 4oz sample first whether they like it or not. Bottles are only for people who know they like the style or that specific beer.

No alcohol abuse!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #55
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 416 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoySeth View Post
This is a sure sign of a craft beer novice, or a BMC drinker. People who appreciate good beer know that smell and sight are a huge part of what makes a good beer good. You cannot see or smell beer when it is in the bottle, and this causes an incomplete tasting experience.
Maybe he's just low on vitamin B.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #56
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 529 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I happen to enjoy the yeastiness in wheat beers...

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 AM   #57
GetStrunk
Recipes 

I don't have people over for beer too much, but I like to bring it with me or give it away. Bottle rinsing is a must, but most people forget because when they pop a bottle at home, they just recycle it. I've frequently had people drink my beer and then toss the empties, even after telling them I want them back to reuse. Usually the main complaint I get is that I didn't bring enough, or that somebody didn't get to try a whatever because they ran out.

I also subscribe to "You open it, somebody's gonna drink it." I had several family members pass on my 12.2% Belgian Noel at Thanksgiving after they opened one and smelled or tasted it (they wanted to check it out). My brother eventually manned up and took it, only to offer this cryptic review the next day: "It was actually pretty good. But when I finished...I went like this (making strange face). It sneaks up on you..."

Strunk Brewing Co.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #58
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 52

EEK! Y'all gotta lighten up. It's just beer. People are allowed their own tastes. You're not serving nectar, hand carried down Mt.Olympus. It's beer which you, a mere mortal, made. And we are all proof that any fool can brew a decent beer. Get over it. Some people won't like it and don't take it personal. You are doing beer a disservice by being such tight#sses. I'm off this thread now.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #59
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 379 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkybstewart View Post
I have a set of 4 oz festival taster glasses. I use those for people I don't know, and they can sample any or all of my beers on tap. It's rare I don't have something for everybody since I keep a great variety, including cider and a mead on tap.

I do not fill growlers for friends. Anybody is welcome to drink with me in my garage, but this ain't a carry-out joint.

I keep BMC and other crap beer party leftovers for people who don't even want to try homebrew. I offer once, but if you don't want to try it I'll never ask again.

My Belgian Ball Buster has a 2 pint limit, strictly enforced. I don't need your drunk self passed out at my house or trying to drive home.

If you even remotely act drunk and/or stupid I'l cut you off unless you have a designated driver.

Act like an a**hole with my other guests and you're history, banned from the garage. Beer is a social drink and I have zero tolerance for antisocial behavior.

Come on over, we'll have some beer, throw some horseshoes, grill some animal flesh and have a good time.
I already have too few kegs and fermenter space backing up. I MUST give away a couple of my beers that I'm not crazy about, so if anyone says they like it, they're taking some home with them. If it's an A list friend, I'll send them home with a growler of "making space for something else" and a smaller bottle of "dine in only".

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 86 batches and counting (as of 7/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #60
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
3. There is more than ABV to consider, most of my friends also get the hop euphoria. Hell I made a whole house party passout, stumbly dumb once. Explain to people that are not used to drinking homebrew to take it easy on it because it is easy to over do it.
Damn right. A lot of times if I'm going to a party I'll bring growlers of homebrew to share and drink the commercial stuff they've got on hand. So my wife and I were going to a party at a mutual friend's house, meeting a new couple for the first time.

I bring my 8.25% ABV Belgian IPA and this guy loves it. I keep warning him that the stuff is rocket fuel and it'll catch up with him, but he basically drinks the entire growler.

Yeah, he was puking that night, and his wife was so embarrassed that we didn't get another chance to hang out with that couple for at least 6 months. We're great friends now, though, and he's a lot more careful with my beer

Quick Reply