Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Simple Rules for Drinking My Homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #31
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'll share beer with anyone who wants it.

Then after that first time I segregate them into one of two groups, people who get continued beer generosity in the future and people who do not.

I do not have rules, but some BMC schwilling dip **** who wants to put down my beer because it doesnt taste like bud light can bring bud light whenever he comes to my house in the future(and the tomato juice he/she puts in said BL.)

People who have an open mind, they dont even have to appreciate "good beer," are going to get a high level of generosity because the more they drink the more I get to brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #32
Dodonkious
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

I had a very long post I was working on and I hit delete: Here is the Reader's Digest version:

A. My problem when I started was that none of my friends brewed, but they were happy drinking the beer.
B. I had a room mate who brewed 2 batches with me. One batch he gave out about a case of bottles. That was sad, esp when I was a broke college student.
C.Never had any problems with people not wanting to drink my beer in college (College students will drink anything you say has alcohol in it.)
D. I have friends who want to brew and design a beer with me. I am fine with this, just not people wanting me to brew them a beer.
E. My dad wanted to make a beer and send it to a college buddy, I said we can do it, but that he would change his tune when he saw the costs adding up.

That's what I can remember for now. Stupid backspace button...

Old 01-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #33
corkybstewart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I have a set of 4 oz festival taster glasses. I use those for people I don't know, and they can sample any or all of my beers on tap. It's rare I don't have something for everybody since I keep a great variety, including cider and a mead on tap.

I do not fill growlers for friends. Anybody is welcome to drink with me in my garage, but this ain't a carry-out joint.

I keep BMC and other crap beer party leftovers for people who don't even want to try homebrew. I offer once, but if you don't want to try it I'll never ask again.

My Belgian Ball Buster has a 2 pint limit, strictly enforced. I don't need your drunk self passed out at my house or trying to drive home.

If you even remotely act drunk and/or stupid I'l cut you off unless you have a designated driver.

Act like an a**hole with my other guests and you're history, banned from the garage. Beer is a social drink and I have zero tolerance for antisocial behavior.

Come on over, we'll have some beer, throw some horseshoes, grill some animal flesh and have a good time.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #34
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
......Do not be offended by the BMC fans not liking your brews. If you are that sensitive do not share until you have perfected your craft or relaxed a bit...........

^^ Words of wisdom right there. Couldn't agree more.
Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #35
matteroftaste
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i only have one issue with sharing my beers with my friends.

i wish they could say something better than, thats nice or i prefer this or that.

dont get me wrong, i brew to please myself and to please others, i just wish i had some beer geek friends to do some proper tasting, to comment on aroma, mouthfeel, yeast character ect...

obviously im not totally serious, im allways happy to share my brews, unconditionally.

please forgive any colloquialisms....

Halbrust Likes This 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #36
Walking_Target
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOChampBrew View Post
How else will you grow as a brewer if you don't get feedback or critizism.
Criticism is pointing out that it has an off taste or something they don't like about it.

I had someone tell me that my brown ale tasted like "Stale Lucky Lager and Arse"

That's not criticism, them's fightin' words

Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #37
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 102

I like constructive feedback - I find wide-eyed, slap on the back, "Good god this tastes awesome!" almost as bad as "this beer sucks."

I don't brew with awesome or suck - I need a little bit more to go on!

Other than asking for more description than awesome/sucks, I have no rules.

PS: Anyone know an online brew store that sells awesome? I have some stout in secondary, I added to much sucks during the boil, and now I need to back-awesome it.

Boreal Brewer

-"Son, you can't sing or dance, I don't like your writing, and you can't draw a picture to save your life. But you make a fine beer!" An 80 year old friend

People Like This 
Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #38
thaworm69
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 50

"I don't want a glass, I'll just drink it out of the bottle" Bugs the hell out of me!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #39
Walking_Target
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I should clarify.

Most of the above rules are about two people, only one of which i still talk to on occasion.

Mr. "No homebrew is that strong" is currently on my **** list for life. He's also Mr. Dirty Bottles and Mr. Lost Bottles

The other person I still talk to now and then, though he's not around as much locally. He's since learned how to give constructive criticism and to not grab the big bottle when he knows he's only gonna have a half pint.

He never did learn to take stuff home with him. Generally I don't care, but it's come up on multiple occasions that i'd open a bottle of something with the outright understanding he's bringing the other 3/4 home with him (wine) only to have him refuse at the end of the evening, using the open container law as his reason. When his wife is the DD (and she drinks, they usually take turns being the DD)

I've taken to keeping commercial lager around for those who want it, because it rankles to throw out half a beer.

I think i'm gonna start kegging this year....

Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #40
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 98

I'd love to get criticism!
Everybody acts like it's the best thing they've ever drank. I'm not that good, and can't get better without critisism.
Luckily I have brew club friends who are brutally honest.

People Like This 

Quick Reply