The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sigh...becoming a beer snob . Good or bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
hoppymonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sigh...becoming a beer snob . Good or bad?

So on the one hand I think enjoy the complexity of beer more these days. (pro) but on the other hand I am just disapointed when I see that all I have to choose from is my old favorites like Newcastle, Boston lager,etc. (con) I mean if I just want pick up a sixer on the way to a buddys to enjoy I gotta shell out at least 10 bucks for anything I consider decent. (con) luckily I brew frequently, I just don't bottle enough( prefer to keg) so guys what are some more pros and cons on this odd transformation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppymonkey View Post
(con) luckily I brew frequently, I just don't bottle enough( prefer to keg)
If it is just for going to a friend's house to hang out grab a couple growlers. It is dead easy to fill and cap them with a piece of hose.

As for the beer snob thing I preferred the better stuff long before I started brewing so that didn't hit me that hard. I'll still drink whatever is available and be happy though so I guess I'm not all that snobby.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

A beer snob puts other people's choice in beverage down... don't be that guy. A beer aficionado prefers and understands higher quality beer. Personally, I'm not above most malt beverages if it is the right place/time. I'll gladly drink a BMC at a party, on the lake or on the golf course and thoroughly enjoy it. At home my taste is more refined and I won't purchase anything but craft brew if I have to, but mostly drink my homebrew now.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll mostly still drink whatever, but I am disapointed when I do.

And I guess aficado is a better term.

Last edited by hoppymonkey; 08-30-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
GaryJohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah...it's good to know that there are better beers out there. It's good to appreciate the real quality brews, and the work that goes into them!

That said, I still buy cheap beer on occasion. Sometimes the wallet hurts! I mean, if I can get a 6'er of PBR tallboys for like 5 bucks...yeah buddy!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Every beer has become research to me now......from old rasputin to a new sam adams to miller lite.

Pro: Some research tastes really really good

Con: Some research makes me wanna rinse my mouth out with cough syrup

Old 08-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

True S.N.O.B.s live in Oregon. Quality beer is worth the price. I'd much rather have one or two good beers and I don't care even slightly what other people drink. Not my taste-buds. Whining about other people's beer choices is rather silly.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
MrWiggles
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I feel you on this one. I would agree with NorCal though, I don't put people down for their beer choice unless it's a friend and I'm just joking around. I'll drink a natty light at a part for some pong if I dont have to pay for it. I'm sorry but I just can't justify paying for poor quality beer, but I'm frugal enough to take advantage of free beer. The lowest I'll stoop is yuengling lager or black&tan, and only if I'm really strapped for cash and want beer that badly. Mostly it's newcastle(my staple), woodchuck, or a new craft beer I see at Bruno's (most recently Lazy Magnolia's Indian summer ale, too bad I'm sick and can't really taste it that well).

Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I say cheer up! There is nothing wrong with knowing what you like and what you don't. I agree with the growler idea 100%.

Think of it this way, you are not the guy looking at every craft beer in the super liquor dept. that has the best selection of these, in your town. You are the guy that can swoop in grab what ya need and get out of there. I have gotten much better at the latter myself.

As for the cost killing you, brew more and growlers are cheap.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
joel4482
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't like to bottle much unless it is something that needs to be aged for a long time. I just fill up a growler or two, maybe even a six pack and go to my friends. By the time we finish the beer I bring the PBR doesn't taste great but it goes down.

Quick Reply