Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
Eugenio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp

Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp

Im sure a few of you bought these...what do you think?

I bought it mostly to try a couple of names that are hard to find here, like Russian River, 3 Floyds and Cigar city. So far have only had the Victory Pilsner, its fantastic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
Falcon3
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Yeah I got this the other day. Only about halfway through (I'm having to pace myself to 1 bottle/night) Favorites so far:

Pils: Really nice- although I didn't get the "fruity" hop character that the description said was there. It was just a very dry BoPils to me. Really nice.

Alt: I really liked this one, too. Nice full body with a tiny hint of roast and chocolate but a clean finish from the ale yeast.

I'm a little surprised that given many of the breweries involved in this venture, there's no true IPA. I think the IPL thing is stupid, and I've never had a good one- to me, it's like putting a 10 inch lift on a corvette- trucks are fun, Corvettes are fun, but a Corvette that looks like a truck is neither fast nor off-road capable. I dunno....

Old 07-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I thought it was pretty good, but not near what I was expecting coming from what I think is a who's who list of the best brewers in the country. Except Bells, they are a joke and had no business being included.

Plus in general I don't like sampler packs, tasters or anything like that. It takes more than a full glass to really understand a beer.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 464 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
Yeah I got this the other day. Only about halfway through (I'm having to pace myself to 1 bottle/night) Favorites so far:

Pils: Really nice- although I didn't get the "fruity" hop character that the description said was there. It was just a very dry BoPils to me. Really nice.

Alt: I really liked this one, too. Nice full body with a tiny hint of roast and chocolate but a clean finish from the ale yeast.

I'm a little surprised that given many of the breweries involved in this venture, there's no true IPA. I think the IPL thing is stupid, and I've never had a good one- to me, it's like putting a 10 inch lift on a corvette- trucks are fun, Corvettes are fun, but a Corvette that looks like a truck is neither fast nor off-road capable. I dunno....
Different strokes for different folks I guess. The best beer I've ever brewed was an IPL, and I like this one as well. Sudwerx (sp?) up in OR makes a great one called Cascade. I think that style is blowing up tbh. The clean flavor of a lager malt profiles the hops even more....

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 99 batches and counting (as of 10/21/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
beersk
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
I thought it was pretty good, but not near what I was expecting coming from what I think is a who's who list of the best brewers in the country. Except Bells, they are a joke and had no business being included.

Plus in general I don't like sampler packs, tasters or anything like that. It takes more than a full glass to really understand a beer.
What about Bells is a joke to you? They brew some fantastic beers. They're certainly not my favorite, but they definitely aren't a joke.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
zmanzorro
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Bought mine last night, can't wait to crack one open tonight!

“Beer is the center of everything. Everything revolves around beer. When you drink beer, everything revolves. Therefore beer is the center of everything.” — University of Waterloo Engineers

Primary/Secondary: N/A
Bottle: Belgian Battering Ram (Tripel), Assassyn (IIPA), I Am GRoot Beer

Old 07-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
beersk
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 68 Posts

I had the Altbier last night. Damn, that was tasty. Too strong for traditional alt, but very tasty.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
Grannyknot
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I thought a lot of the beers were really good. My favorite was probably the Alt so far.
I'm aging a few of them and I haven't drank the pale lager or the scotch ale yet.
That being said, I probably won't buy it again. It was freakin $20 in my neck of the woods.

To the guy that said Bell's is a joke...LOL.

Bottled:
On Tap: Little River Brown Ale, Fresh Hop IPA, Orange Soda
Secondary:
Primary: Mt Hood IPA
On Deck: Imperial Breakfast Stout

Old 07-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 186

The case went over well with my family at my son's birthday. They only left me 8 to try.

Next:On hold
Primary: Smoker Toasted Oatmeal Stout (9/27/14)
Secondary: Ice Cider with store bought frozen concentrate (9/15/14)
Bottled: Freezer Clean Out APA (9/1/14)
Drinking: Water and Craft Beer

Old 07-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by beersk View Post
What about Bells is a joke to you? They brew some fantastic beers. They're certainly not my favorite, but they definitely aren't a joke.

Which beers are fantastic?

Let me guess.

Two hearted
Hopslam
Kzoo stout
Oberon

Two hearted is their best beer, but it's still not very good compared to it's peers.

Perhaps bells isnt a joke, but they are easily the most overhyped brewery in the country...and most of their "shelf beers" (amber, pale ale, porter, oberon) are in fact a joke.

Hopslam is just a mess BTW.

Quick Reply