Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
Eugenio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Eugenio's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 294
Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp

Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp

Im sure a few of you bought these...what do you think?

I bought it mostly to try a couple of names that are hard to find here, like Russian River, 3 Floyds and Cigar city. So far have only had the Victory Pilsner, its fantastic.

__________________
Eugenio is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
Falcon3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 261
Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

Yeah I got this the other day. Only about halfway through (I'm having to pace myself to 1 bottle/night) Favorites so far:

Pils: Really nice- although I didn't get the "fruity" hop character that the description said was there. It was just a very dry BoPils to me. Really nice.

Alt: I really liked this one, too. Nice full body with a tiny hint of roast and chocolate but a clean finish from the ale yeast.

I'm a little surprised that given many of the breweries involved in this venture, there's no true IPA. I think the IPL thing is stupid, and I've never had a good one- to me, it's like putting a 10 inch lift on a corvette- trucks are fun, Corvettes are fun, but a Corvette that looks like a truck is neither fast nor off-road capable. I dunno....

__________________
Falcon3 is offline
PLOVE Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Morgantown, Wv
Posts: 2,073
Liked 412 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

I thought it was pretty good, but not near what I was expecting coming from what I think is a who's who list of the best brewers in the country. Except Bells, they are a joke and had no business being included.


Plus in general I don't like sampler packs, tasters or anything like that. It takes more than a full glass to really understand a beer.

__________________
Xpertskir is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 2,438
Liked 464 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 758

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
Yeah I got this the other day. Only about halfway through (I'm having to pace myself to 1 bottle/night) Favorites so far:

Pils: Really nice- although I didn't get the "fruity" hop character that the description said was there. It was just a very dry BoPils to me. Really nice.

Alt: I really liked this one, too. Nice full body with a tiny hint of roast and chocolate but a clean finish from the ale yeast.

I'm a little surprised that given many of the breweries involved in this venture, there's no true IPA. I think the IPL thing is stupid, and I've never had a good one- to me, it's like putting a 10 inch lift on a corvette- trucks are fun, Corvettes are fun, but a Corvette that looks like a truck is neither fast nor off-road capable. I dunno....
Different strokes for different folks I guess. The best beer I've ever brewed was an IPL, and I like this one as well. Sudwerx (sp?) up in OR makes a great one called Cascade. I think that style is blowing up tbh. The clean flavor of a lager malt profiles the hops even more....
__________________

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 99 batches and counting (as of 10/21/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

jbaysurfer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
beersk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: , Iowa City, IA
Posts: 579
Liked 75 Times on 68 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
I thought it was pretty good, but not near what I was expecting coming from what I think is a who's who list of the best brewers in the country. Except Bells, they are a joke and had no business being included.


Plus in general I don't like sampler packs, tasters or anything like that. It takes more than a full glass to really understand a beer.
What about Bells is a joke to you? They brew some fantastic beers. They're certainly not my favorite, but they definitely aren't a joke.
__________________
beersk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
zmanzorro
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 554
Liked 85 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Bought mine last night, can't wait to crack one open tonight!

__________________

“Beer is the center of everything. Everything revolves around beer. When you drink beer, everything revolves. Therefore beer is the center of everything.” — University of Waterloo Engineers

Primary/Secondary: N/A
Bottle: Belgian Battering Ram (Tripel), Assassyn (IIPA), I Am GRoot Beer

zmanzorro is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
beersk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: , Iowa City, IA
Posts: 579
Liked 75 Times on 68 Posts

Default

I had the Altbier last night. Damn, that was tasty. Too strong for traditional alt, but very tasty.

__________________
beersk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
Grannyknot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 763
Liked 80 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default

I thought a lot of the beers were really good. My favorite was probably the Alt so far.
I'm aging a few of them and I haven't drank the pale lager or the scotch ale yet.
That being said, I probably won't buy it again. It was freakin $20 in my neck of the woods.

To the guy that said Bell's is a joke...LOL.

__________________

Bottled:
On Tap: Little River Brown Ale, Fresh Hop IPA, Orange Soda
Secondary:
Primary: Mt Hood IPA
On Deck: Imperial Breakfast Stout

Grannyknot is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 929
Liked 143 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Default

The case went over well with my family at my son's birthday. They only left me 8 to try.

__________________

Next:On hold
Primary: Smoker Toasted Oatmeal Stout (9/27/14)
Secondary: Ice Cider with store bought frozen concentrate (9/15/14)
Bottled: Freezer Clean Out APA (9/1/14)
Drinking: Water and Craft Beer

fuzzy2133 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Morgantown, Wv
Posts: 2,073
Liked 412 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beersk View Post
What about Bells is a joke to you? They brew some fantastic beers. They're certainly not my favorite, but they definitely aren't a joke.

Which beers are fantastic?

Let me guess.

Two hearted
Hopslam
Kzoo stout
Oberon


Two hearted is their best beer, but it's still not very good compared to it's peers.

Perhaps bells isnt a joke, but they are easily the most overhyped brewery in the country...and most of their "shelf beers" (amber, pale ale, porter, oberon) are in fact a joke.

Hopslam is just a mess BTW.
__________________
Xpertskir is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Tapping in CT - Dec 20, 22 & 29 wrightbrew Connecticut HomeBrew Forum 4 12-15-2011 07:24 PM
Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Video jeciv General Chit Chat 7 08-22-2011 04:45 PM
Next Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Submission Brewpastor General Beer Discussion 11 03-19-2011 10:04 PM
My Sierra Nevada Beer Camp video carnevoodoo General Beer Discussion 68 08-10-2010 08:02 PM
Beer Camp! At Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. TwoHeadsBrewing General Beer Discussion 12 04-24-2009 03:19 AM