The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Siebel Institute Advanced Homebrewing Program

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #21
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This may be a poor analogy, but this has been my experience:

I've been a firearms instructor (law enforcement and civilian) for almost 20 years now. In that time, I've come across many people that have invested thousands of dollars in equipment (guns, scopes,etc), and balk at spending even a small amount of money for some training by a qualified instructor. They also tend to try to modify their equipment to compensate for flaws in their technique ("the gun is shooting low and to the left, so I adjusted the sights"). I've had situations where with just a few minutes of hands-on instruction with a student has resulted in a 50% reduction in group size.

Even as an instructor, I have taken hundreds, if not thousands of hours of instruction from other instructors to broaden my skill-set, and in every case have learned something new.

Anytime I tour a brewery (which is every chance I get) I pepper the brewmaster with questions. I'm attending a local Brew School tomorrow, and I'll be taking lots of notes.

While there is a ton of good information on this site, hands-on training with a qualified instructor will always be of benefit.

If I had the time and money. I'd be there in a flash...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #22
LiquidFlame
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

A lot of great points, making it hard for me to decide.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply