New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sick of buying skunked beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Sick of buying skunked beer

While I love seeing DFH and Stone in my local grocery store, I hate buying a six pack of Stone IPA and finding it completely skunked when I pop the first bottle.

I just opened a Southern Tier Pale Ale that's skunked and has no hop presence. That was from a reputable liquor store too. I guess we need more people drinking good beer around here so we can keep fresh beer on the shelves.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 03:16 AM   #2
beesy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It sucks. I've been seeing some southern tier unearthly and some other big beers @ kroger and giant eagle here lately. It's cool they are carrying it, but their product mgmt sucks and a lot of them sit on the shelf a LONG time. bought a 6 of cascazilla @ giant eagle to get home and notice it was past drink by date - needless to say not good for a hoppy beer. Also bought a weyerbacher double simcoe bomber two weeks ago from Kenny road ghat tasted like it was sitting around for a year. Unfortunately in Ohio, I don't think there are any refunds or returns on beer and liquor. Pisses you off when you buy a $10 bomber for sure.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:49 AM   #3
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I will say that I have found some awesome 10% abv + beers that are great for aging that were on the shelf for over a year. I usually play dumb and get a discount.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:16 AM   #4
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

True that if its style appropriate to age. P.s. Do not buy southern tier hop sun
off season or you will just be upset. It was nice last year southern tier changes their packaging so you could tell if it was old or new.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:31 AM   #5
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, we have a beer and wine store that has holiday ales year round. I like to watch what's in stock and only buy what's new/different. Why don't more places put seasonals on sale when slightly out of season instead of having full priced Aprihop in September.

on a different note Beesy, I wish my kroger had unearthly. I'd buy it all up.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:34 AM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Always reach for beer in the very back of the store's refrigerated case. It's probably been more shielded from fluorescent lighting, and, depending on how the store stocks, it may be the freshest.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:42 AM   #7
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I pretty much stopped buying Saison Dupont because it's always skunked. Recently I found a store that stocks it on a middle shelf... usually stores put it on the top shelf which of course ruins it. Sad, really.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:46 AM   #8
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxam View Post
Yeah, we have a beer and wine store that has holiday ales year round. I like to watch what's in stock and only buy what's new/different. Why don't more places put seasonals on sale when slightly out of season instead of having full priced Aprihop in September.

on a different note Beesy, I wish my kroger had unearthly. I'd buy it all up.
Giant eagle, not kroger has the unearthly if i remember correctly I did notice lately, kroger has some southern tier 2x iipa and founders dirty bastard.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Dome555
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I went to a beer distributor I hadn't been to in quite a while after hearing they've got a new owner. The expensive beers are, as it's done, on the top shelf... directly in front of the heating vent. Between that and the prices being both high and not labeled I think it'll be another few years before I go back there. Sucks too, he's got a great selection of ruined beer.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1666 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

I've so far gotten Paulaner's Salvator Doppel bock & Hefeweitzen that were still good at Giant eagle. As was the Bitburger pils in cans. Do NOT buy the Bitburger in bottles! Always off flavored yuk. But the cans of it were pretty good. I'll have to look for the others mentioned the next time I go to G.E.. They have a walk in beer cooler With many new imports/craft beers coming in. I can only assume that it's due to all the upper middle class types living around me. I see Jags & Ferrari's in nice weather,along with the occasional Lambo. All the better for us,to an extent.
Not to mention,all the Paulaner & Michelob Amber Bock bottles I saved capped perfectly yesterday. Nice bonus,since the Paulaner bottles have the raised bust of bearded monks around the shoulder of the bottle.

Quick Reply