Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Shut down (Michigan Brewing Company)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #31
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

MBC will always have a special place in my heart. The a bunch of students from the School of Packaging at MSU did a tour there my senior year. That trip is what exposed me to a world outside of Bud/Miller/Coors. I have not been back in years but remember it pretty much exactly how MBCSucks described it. Sad to see something with so much potential go down the drain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #32
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2258 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

So what's to become of the place? Do they sell the equipment? Sell the whole place to a new brewer?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #33
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullstop22 View Post
Anyone tried Hopmans in Waterford Township for homebrew supplies?
My dad lives just around the corner from that place. When I go visit this summer I'll probably be brewing a batch at my dad's place. As much as I have enjoyed ordering from Northern Brewer (because the closest HBS is a 2 hour drive away from my house), I'd love to support a Michigan business. Especially one that is practically in my dad's backyard.
Bottled - The Land of Pils and Honey, an imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #34
dogbar
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Celis White appears to be a bad luck brand. Down in Texas we went through losing it two owners ago.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #35
MBC_Sucks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I've been there 2-3 times and am sorry to see it like this, but that's a pretty accurate statement. I've heard from several others that he did a terrible job managing the place and people. Nothing "interesting" about MBC is one thing that helped do it in. They had capacity. They lacked any style. The other things I didn't like??

Sargeants
Bad Bass American Lager
Wolverine

It was like MBC wanted to be the next big macro brewer...
And there were more problems. I've spoken to investors, and here's what they've told me:

1. Bobby inflated the stock value. One person invested, bought 400 shares at $50 each. When they received the stock certificate, the certificate stated 330,000 shares were outstanding. Do the math. That's a total corporate value of $14,500,000. Does anyone believe MBC was worth a cool $14.5 mill? And then this person told me a balance sheet was presented to them at the next annual investor's meeting that showed total company assets of about $2.5 mill. Doesn't take a CPA or SEC investigator to sniff out THAT fraud.

2. Speaking of regular shareholder meetings, the last one to be held was in March of 2009. This was the last time shareholders received any financials as well. Bobby has supplied NO financial or statements to any investor in the last three years.

3. And then there's the MBC downtown location. That was a partnership Bobby entered into with another investor, Ernie St. Pierre, and they shut out the rest of the shareholders. They attempted to call it "MBC" and claim it was a different entity, yet the name was strikingly similar and the place served exclusively MBC products. THAT'S known as "shareholder oppression". It's illegal to set up a substantially similar entity in name, product, and brand, but shut out the shareholders.

Bobby better lawyer up, big time.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #36
ACarver
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBC_Sucks View Post
And there were more problems. I've spoken to investors, and here's what they've told me:

1. Bobby inflated the stock value. One person invested, bought 400 shares at $50 each. When they received the stock certificate, the certificate stated 330,000 shares were outstanding. Do the math. That's a total corporate value of $14,500,000. Does anyone believe MBC was worth a cool $14.5 mill? And then this person told me a balance sheet was presented to them at the next annual investor's meeting that showed total company assets of about $2.5 mill. Doesn't take a CPA or SEC investigator to sniff out THAT fraud.

2. Speaking of regular shareholder meetings, the last one to be held was in March of 2009. This was the last time shareholders received any financials as well. Bobby has supplied NO financial or statements to any investor in the last three years.

3. And then there's the MBC downtown location. That was a partnership Bobby entered into with another investor, Ernie St. Pierre, and they shut out the rest of the shareholders. They attempted to call it "MBC" and claim it was a different entity, yet the name was strikingly similar and the place served exclusively MBC products. THAT'S known as "shareholder oppression". It's illegal to set up a substantially similar entity in name, product, and brand, but shut out the shareholders.

Bobby better lawyer up, big time.
Something tells me your not much of a fan of MBC. Not sure where I'm picking that up from, but I get a strange feeling.

In all seriousness, never had a beer from there, but like someone else said, saw the place on Dinners, Drive-ins, and Dives and it looked like they had some nice equipment and at least a few loyal customers. Pretty unexpected news to someone like me that is not in the know.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #37
MBC_Sucks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
So what's to become of the place? Do they sell the equipment? Sell the whole place to a new brewer?
Everything in the building is under a complete lien by the new owner due to non-payment of rent.

Look for a HUGE brewery equipment auction in the near future, folks, and look for TONS of LHBS gear at auction prices, too.

Everything must go, go GO ! !

Old 05-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #38
MBC_Sucks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBrew83 View Post
Sad to see something with so much potential go down the drain.
That's why all the investors are calling Bobby Mason's head on a pike out in front of the old place.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #39
bjd17bb
Recipes 

Default Lansing Area Home Brew Store

Hey brewing community, we at Dusty's Cellar are going to try and fill a little of your need for home brewing supplies on the east side of town, so come on over and check out what we can do for you.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #40
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2258 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

You should put a sign up in MBC's lawn...

Quick Reply