The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Shut down (Michigan Brewing Company)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #21
drhookmec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullstop22 View Post
Anyone tried Hopmans in Waterford Township for homebrew supplies?
Great place!
May not be as big as some HBS stores but still best place around.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #22
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 40 Posts

Obviously, getting into business with Kid Rock was a horrible idea.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Old 04-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #23
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Well, this place seems to have had a following, judging by some of the posts. But just because you can brew, and brew well, doesn't mean you can (or even want to) run a business. The two bases must somehow be covered.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #24
Farmer_John
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a taste for their nut brown about...10 years ago when they were in the smaller building accessed through the Mobil parking lot. Hell, I thought they were already out of business, as the old brewery is empty...Hmm...

Old 04-29-2012, 03:25 AM   #25
fullstop22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I found the beers to be average to the point I did not want to spend my money on them when I picked up supplies. I would usually have the IPA it was OK. The wife liked the Screaming Pumpkin in the fall. The bulk grain prices were the best I found as were most of the thing they sold. My impression of the main dude , a little shady. I always thought they needed a little more edge to all brews.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #26
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1902 Times on 1373 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullstop22 View Post
I found the beers to be average to the point I did not want to spend my money on them when I picked up supplies. I would usually have the IPA it was OK. The wife liked the Screaming Pumpkin in the fall. The bulk grain prices were the best I found as were most of the thing they sold. My impression of the main dude , a little shady. I always thought they needed a little more edge to all brews.
Me too. Average beer in most cases, with a couple of exceptions. They did a lot of "contract brews" with other people's names on them. They had a lot of capacity.

I think if they could have managed to nail down a couple of good imperial recipes, to generate some buzz, they could have done better. They made some light lagers that IMO weren't any better than a good BMC product, but cost more. Hard to get BMC drinkers interested in paying more for the same thing.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #27
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This a shame to see any Michigan company go down. Well hopefully those who liked the MBC's beers will migrate to drinking beers from the other brewing companies in our fine state. Their only beer worth buying a 6er of in my opinion was the Celis White and over the last couple years even that was not quite what it once was. From the last update I got from a "little bird" they are completely done.

drhookmec Hopmans is ok. Rick is a great guy however there is another homebrew shop that I like better than Hopmans. Check out the Malty Dog in Southfield. They do not have quite the selection of some shops but they have the essentials, lower prices than any place in the area, and they are also a brew pub. Their beer is excellent. I love the fact I can walk in, hand them a recipe and have a pint while they mill my grain.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #28
drhookmec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toga View Post
drhookmec Hopmans is ok. Rick is a great guy however there is another homebrew shop that I like better than Hopmans. Check out the Malty Dog in Southfield. They do not have quite the selection of some shops but they have the essentials, lower prices than any place in the area, and they are also a brew pub. Their beer is excellent. I love the fact I can walk in, hand them a recipe and have a pint while they mill my grain.
Sounds Awesome! Will haft to check that place out.

Tim

Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #29
MBC_Sucks
Recipes 

Default Sucks

Staffing issues. Bobby could never, ever keep a brewer on his staff. Never. Sure, the second generation Brockmiller was a great guy and loyal to the end (he was there up until the very last day), but Bobby never allowed him to develop as a brewer. Truly, anyone that came through Michigan Brewing that tried to grow as a brewer were quickly driven out by Bobby and his micromanaging theatrics.

And the rest of the staff. Bobby paid sh*t wages, and thus got a sh*t staff, folks that were not well kept, well mannered, or the least bit professional. Sure, there was the occasional bright and professional bar maid or server, but that was rare.

And the menu....average at best. When MBC moved to the new facility, there was the chance to install a real kitchen, put some real food on the menu, and make it a destination. Nope. We'll stick with the lousy sandwiches and canned soups. (Anyone remember Laura's Five Candle White Chicken Chili from the old place?)

And the ambiance, or lack of it. The bar and immediate pub area were OK, but rest of the joint reminded you of a friggin' church basement, and there were zero efforts to change that. Who wants to relax in someplace with linoleum floors, painted walls, and ceiling tiles? Institutional yuck.

And that "patio". Right out in the blazing sun on a concrete slab, sure, let's roast the guests like sun dried tomatoes.

And the wood fired pizzas...and the barbeque that never was...and on and on and on until he pissed it all away.

Last edited by MBC_Sucks; 05-02-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #30
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1902 Times on 1373 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBC_Sucks View Post
Staffing issues. Bobby could never, ever keep a brewer on his staff. Never. Sure, the second generation Brockmiller was a great guy and loyal to the end (he was there up until the very last day), but Bobby never allowed him to develop as a brewer. Truly, anyone that came through Michigan Brewing that tried to grow as a brewer were quickly driven out by Bobby and his micromanaging theatrics.

And the rest of the staff. Bobby paid sh*t wages, and thus got a sh*t staff, folks that were not well kept, well mannered, or the least bit professional. Sure, there was the occasional bright and professional bar maid or server, but that was rare.

And the menu....average at best. When MBC moved to the new facility, there was the chance to install a real kitchen, put some real food on the menu, and make it a destination. Nope. We'll stick with the lousy sandwiches and canned soups. (Anyone remember Laura's Five Candle White Chicken Chili from the old place?)

And the ambiance, or lack of it. The bar and immediate pub area were OK, but rest of the joint reminded you of a friggin' church basement, and there were zero efforts to change that. Who wants to relax in someplace with linoleum floors, painted walls, and ceiling tiles? Institutional yuck.

And that "patio". Right out in the blazing sun on a concrete slab, sure, let's roast the guests like sun dried tomatoes.

And the wood fired pizzas...and the barbeque that never was...and on and on and on until he pissed it all away.
I've been there 2-3 times and am sorry to see it like this, but that's a pretty accurate statement. I've heard from several others that he did a terrible job managing the place and people. Nothing "interesting" about MBC is one thing that helped do it in. They had capacity. They lacked any style. The other things I didn't like??

Sargeants
Bad Bass American Lager
Wolverine

It was like MBC wanted to be the next big macro brewer...

Quick Reply