Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Show of hands, who hates acetyalhyde?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
SkinnyShamrock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Show of hands, who hates acetyalhyde?

*raises hand*

Third batch now I've done that is just a glass of green apples. Grrr.

I'm aware the cause, just can't seem to get that yeast happy enough. Next time I'm adding actively fermenting beer directly to my carboy, in addition to pitching yeast. And shaking the absolute hell out of the carboy.

Jeff, Brewer, Troegs Brewing Company, Harrisburg, PA

"RDWHAHB, right?"
"No, just do it right, damnit!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

I can't detect it...so I dont care!!!

Not joking either, I cant smell or taste it. We had the Seibel off flavor kit in my BJCP class. Everyone was gagging at their acetyalhyde spiked beer. I had to ask if my sample got spiked! I ended up having to take the concentrated vial the stuff comes in to take a whiff. It was still hard for me to detect, but I got the idea of what I was supposed to be looking for.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
vespoli
Recipes 

How long post-brew? Are you using a starter? Adding yeast nutrient?

Old 12-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I'm sure I'd hate acetyalhyde if I got it in my beers, but I've never had it. Usually that is, among other things, is a sign of a green beer or young beer, which never get leaving the beer in primary for a month and letting it bottle condition long enough.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply