HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Show of hands: Who doesn't want to go into commercial brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
EinGutesBiersSWMBO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Show of hands: Who doesn't want to go into commercial brewing?

:raises hand:

I guess I'm just a little frustrated in how many fellow homebrewers I talk to seem to want to go commercial. The idea of turning a hobby I love into my livelihood sounds like a horrible idea to me. I personally don't care if others like my beer, I make it for me.

Is there anyone else out there that feels the same?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1699 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 52826

I think the desire is less to have LOTS of people like your beer, than it is to do something that we all love so much for a living. Truthfully, that's the best kind of job, one where you can wake up, go to work and not mind because you love what you do so much.

While becoming a professional brewer or having my own brew pub would be cool, realistically, I like the money I make as an engineer. IMHO, I already brew and make very good money, why would I want to switch to brewing and making mediocre money??

My internet friends were making fun of my kegdolly and I took it out on Gary. - Ginger

Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts

Less than zero interest here.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
oteixeira
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

:raises hand:

I do it to have the joy of my own concoctions. To be honest, about a million new places have opened in NC since they raised the ABV limit here, and I can hardly keep up tasting all of their stuff. I do my best mind you.

Orlando

Old 01-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Right here. I'd hate to have to worry about the business side of the deal, and I don't always feel like brewing.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
EinGutesBiersSWMBO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I can appreciate that Ace.

Don't get me wrong, I love to share my beer. It's just the idea that you're banking on the general public to see if you stay afloat financially or not seems like a horrible way to go. I think the stress would take the fun right out of brewing.

My dream isn't a brewpub. My dream would be to have a small building next my home just for brewing, with floor drains, a bar, and lots of storage. That sounds like heaven to me.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 702

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdog View Post
Right here. I'd hate to have to worry about the business side of the deal, and I don't always feel like brewing.
Amen. Once I have to do it.......I wont want to do it. Love to brew but don't want a job doing it.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I don't know about commercial but I would like to be able to sell my crafts locally at the market.

Not really for income but for a reason to brew. Drinking it all is starting to turn into a full time job in itself and I'd like to cut back on my drinking a bit but not my brewing. Hoping for favorable changes to our HB laws in Oregon soon.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5431 Times on 4821 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I don't care to. The workload is high and the pay not so great. Might be fun to do a stand-in once or twice but I'll pass on the 8 to 5'er or the 4 to 12'er or the....

Might be okay for a retirement gig if the body can still handle the lifting then.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
Stellrbrewr
Recipes 

I'd hate trying to make a business out of it. To be successful 90% of your time would be consumed with business and 10% would be the actual brewing. That would suck. I do love making beer other people enjoy as much as for myself. In an IDEAL world, I'd have one part time job that pays all the bills and have a nano-brewery (maybe 1-2 BBL) that would be another part time job.

Quick Reply