Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Should we pass a law against twist-off tops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default Should we pass a law against twist-off tops?

This is a semi sarcastic post but since I started brewing I have stopped drinking beers that have twist off tops on them. Seems like such a waste now.
Anybody else have this affliction?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I certainly do, and every time I'm over at a friends house I get excited to steal their empties and disappointed if they're twist off...

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.
ChaosStout Likes This 
Old 02-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
ajbram
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I hate twisties, but I think the BMC swilling masses are too dense to figure out how to use a bottle opener. Convenience is not the issue here. I currently have 3 bottle openers attached to me in some way or in easy access: Keychain (looks like an old key), watch band (nice titanium one decoratively attached to the leather), belt buckle (on the back of it). Like I said, it's easy to always have a bottle opener handy, so it's not a convenience issue. It's a stupidity issue.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Um, there are quite a few CRAFT brews that use, or at one time used twist offs, including about half of the bombers in the Lagunitus line, Founder's has a few 12 ouncers including Centennial Ipa, Dieu Du Ciel, Sierra Nevada (including bigfoot), Tyranena, Allagash White, Goose Island, Saint Arnold, Rahr & Sons, Sprecher, Southern Tier, Summit, Blue Point, Unibroue's 12 oz, Shipyard Pugsley's Select series 22oz bottles are twist off, Otter Creek has a couple, the Point Whole Hog Series, Boulevard's 12oz stubby bottles, everything by full sail, Péché Morte, Capital Brewery, Avery has twist off caps, at least on Maharaja, lost coast, Session Lager and all the Alaskan Brewery beers have twist-offs and that's just off the top of my head....

So what's this about "Ignorant Bmc drinkers?"

Boy, if I stopped buying beers that came in twist offs, I'd be missing out on some hellacious beers.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Lunchtime Likes This 
Old 02-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
ajbram
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm aware of the fact that many of our beloved craft breweries use twisties as well. SN did for quite a while. Here in Canada, Creemore bombers used to be twisties, and lots of the smaller craft breweries take advantage of the fact that Ontario has a bottle return program that operates at 92% efficiency. I'm a fan of pry-offs whether its on my beer or Coca-Cola. I guess its a mixture of nostalgia, elitism, and the fact that I have had numerous chipped, cracked or improperly sealed twisties, but never a problem with a pry-off (although that's probably more of a brewery problem than an inherent bottle problem).

My point was more a rhetorical, somewhat sarcastic response tot he OP's sarcastic question. As long as the big breweries use twisties, then we would never be able to ban them. My experience with friends who prefer drinking fizzy yellow water, is that they HATE pry-offs because they find the need to use a bottle opener inconvenient. I'm merely pointing out that I don't think it's a matter of inconvenience. I have been known to enjoy as many beers in an evening as any of my BMC (or Labatt's) swilling compatriots and having to pry-off my lids has never slowed me down,

Old 02-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 20

If anything, the latest trend is putting everything into cans. Cans are CHEAPER for the brewery and keep beer FRESHER LONGER than bottles.

So be careful what you wish for, your favorite brewery might quit using bottles all together!

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Yeah I suppose I should clarify that I'm currently boycotting twisties until I have sufficient numbers of empties!

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 503 Posts
Likes Given: 160

I have a friend who has a lot of drinking friends, so now I have plenty of bottles.

That reminds me, the last batch is still in the bed of my pickup!

Now I might prefer buying a beer in twist offs, if I am taking them somewhere, so I don't have to take an opener also.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Lunchtime
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I love the new trend of craft beers in cans. There are so many situations where glass isn't allowed. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchtime View Post
I love the new trend of craft beers in cans. There are so many situations where glass isn't allowed. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah, just as long as there's still plenty of pryoffs for homebrewers starting out. I've got a ton, but in five years, what will happen to "Joe Noob" just starting out.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply