Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Should I use this tap water or bottled spring water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Should I use this tap water or bottled spring water?

So I'm doing my third AG batch tomorrow. The last couple times I brewed I used generic spring water. Should I go ahead with this water profile or buy more spring water? I don't have the proper tools to adjust my water profile unless its something I can get at the store. No LHBS

pH 8.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 196
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.33
Cations / Anions, me/L 3.3 / 3.5

Sodium, Na- 75 ppm
Potassium K-<1 ppm
Calcium Ca- 1 ppm
Magnesium Mg- <1 ppm
Total Hardness, CaCO3- 3 ppm
Nitrate, NO3‐N- .1 ppm
Sulfate, SO4‐S- 3 ppm
Chloride, Cl- 6 ppm
Carbonate, CO3- 21ppm
Bicarbonate, HCO3- 145ppm
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 154

Thanks

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
~Ernest Hemingway

Primary: CDJ IPA #1, Sea Cow Pale #1
Secondary: HUH?
Bottle: Scroatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Honey Blonde, Imperial Stout, Raspberry Stout, Blackberry Stout
Keg: Pumpkin Porter, Vanilla Porter
Future: Irish Red, Centennial Blonde, White Ale, Whiskey Imperial Stout #1, Saison #1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
QuaffableQuips
Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thood6 View Post
So I'm doing my third AG batch tomorrow. The last couple times I brewed I used generic spring water. Should I go ahead with this water profile or buy more spring water? I don't have the proper tools to adjust my water profile unless its something I can get at the store. No LHBS

pH 8.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 196
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.33
Cations / Anions, me/L 3.3 / 3.5

Sodium, Na- 75 ppm
Potassium K-<1 ppm
Calcium Ca- 1 ppm
Magnesium Mg- <1 ppm
Total Hardness, CaCO3- 3 ppm
Nitrate, NO3‐N- .1 ppm
Sulfate, SO4‐S- 3 ppm
Chloride, Cl- 6 ppm
Carbonate, CO3- 21ppm
Bicarbonate, HCO3- 145ppm
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 154

Thanks
Have you read through the first post in this thread yet?
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/bre...primer-198460/

It's a good place to start if you're interested in water but aren't really sure how to begin. If I were more knowledgeable about water chemistry, I'd have more to offer, but until someone else chimes in, that might be worth a read.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Actually, that water doesn't look half bad, at least compared to mine. The sodium and alkalinity is a bit high, but everything else is quite low. If I had this water, I'd probably dilute it with RO or distilled to drop the sodium and alkalinity and then add back gypsum and calcium chloride to get your calcium and sulfate/chloride numbers up... depending on what you are brewing.

To get a better idea of what you have to work with, download Bru'n Water and plug in your water profile.

As for now, I'd be hesitant to brew with this water given the high alk and low calcium. You might be better off diluting half and half with spring water, in the hope that it brings up your Ca and drops the alkalinity. Regardless, you'll want to pick up some gypsum and calcium chloride at some point if you plan to adjust your tap water.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

I also like to use the How-to-Brew chapter as a reference as well. It kinda depends on what kind of beer you're brewing. I'm by no means an expert, but the place I'd start first is the hardness. You're a little high, which means that you're probably fine for a darker beer, but if you're trying to brew lighter beers, you may have to either dilute with RO water or lower the pH with something (lactic acid, acid malt, etc). As for your other salts, your sodium is higher than some, but I don't think that you'd run into trouble with it as it is. I've always read that you need around 50ppm Ca for proper yeast fermentation and flocculation. Since both your chloride and sulfate levels are low as well, you can use either CaCl2 or CaSO4. If you're brewing a hoppy beer, go with more CaSO4, and for malty beers go with more CaCl2. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2191 Times on 1907 Posts
Likes Given: 1632

I use either distilled or spring water for my partial mash beers. Works pretty well so far I need to study this water chemistry basics myself. Baby steps ya know...

Old 02-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I've always used bottled spring water. The water in my area is perfectly safe from drinking but it's not really that good tasting. The usual rule of thumb is that good tasting water makes good tasting beer.

Huh - that was post #1500. I've been away for a couple of years, seldom posting or reading. Just stopped by today for no particular reason.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 18

You could use that water for mashing, if you dilute at least 4:1 or so. Don't sparge with it. And you want to use reverse osmosis or distilled water rather than spring water.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmartin000
You could use that water for mashing, if you dilute at least 4:1 or so. Don't sparge with it. And you want to use reverse osmosis or distilled water rather than spring water.
Why is spring water not ok? That's what I ended up using.

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
~Ernest Hemingway

Bottle: Scroatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Honey Blonde, Imperial Stout, Raspberry Stout, Blackberry Stout
Future: Irish Red, Centennial Blonde, White Ale, Whiskey Imperial Stout #1, Saison #1

Old 02-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Bump

~Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2191 Times on 1907 Posts
Likes Given: 1632

Idk,spring water works fine for me?...

Quick Reply