Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Should I switch to organic to reduce my carbon footprint?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
fbaillargeon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Should I switch to organic to reduce my carbon footprint?

So how green am I for kegging and brewing using propane? I was wondering, I am myself in Eastern Canada, and most of our grain is kilned either in British-Columbia or Montreal and grown in the Canadian Prairies, it's the canadian beer basket.

All this trucking being already a lot, I try to offset my carbon footprint by using less packaging etc; and obviously brewing myself on my porch.

Would switching to organic improve that by not using synthetic fertilizers,pesticides etc?

The kilners would be the same brands.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Someone would have to do a life-cycle analysis to answer whether switching your grain would make an appreciable difference. Organic doesn't necessarily correlate to being more energy efficient.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 08-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1910 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 2742

In your scenario you are a small piece of the pie. Would your actions make much of a difference in the scheme of things?

I doubt it, but do think everybody should pursue what they believe in.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
fbaillargeon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

You are right that in the great cosmic dance of the stars, it is non-significant on a cosmic level.

But I still bike to work and eat my greens to stay fit. It's just a piece of mind thing for a post-industrial human to fantasize about Guess it makes me feel warm and fuzzy to think i'm using less to fill my addiction. Tap water is also good I guess..

Old 08-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
jhoyda
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbaillargeon View Post
You are right that in the great cosmic dance of the stars, it is non-significant on a cosmic level.

But I still bike to work and eat my greens to stay fit. It's just a piece of mind thing for a post-industrial human to fantasize about Guess it makes me feel wark and fuzzy to think i'm using less to fill my addiction. Tap water is also good I guess..
How much energy was burned extracting the oil that made the rubber for the tires on your bike, same for the steel or aluminum in the frame. Steel-making is very energy intensive; aluminum even more so. You would have to ride a LONG ways to simply offset the energy used to create your bike.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Switching to organic barley might not decrease the carbon footprint. All it does is eliminate pesticide use and produce the barley with only natural organic fertilizer. The yield per acre might go down sufficiently so that there is more energy used in the planting, maintenance and harvesting of the crop, increasing the carbon footprint of the process.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Of course you know you are makeing a hell of a lot of Carbon Dioxide in this process....

You are converting a Solid into a Gas...

You can probably measure how many pound you produce by weighing a fermentor at the start and end of the process. The gas will escape and it weighs "something".

If reducing your carbon foot print is important to you YOU SHOULD NOT BREW!

Gee,,, next you are going to tell me you believe that Global Warming is because of man!!!!

Old 08-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
Apple_Jacker
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

"Carbon footprint" and "going green" are just marketing terms anyway. If you want to pollute less, be into organic foods (separate issue entirely), and pursue potential renewable or alternative energy sources, then by all means do it for yourself. As George Carlin once said, "The planet is fine. The people are f@cked! The planet isn't going anywhere....WE are!!!"

Old 08-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
In your scenario you are a small piece of the pie. Would your actions make much of a difference in the scheme of things?
I don't see how this is a good argument against being more eco-friendly. (I haven't done the investigation to determine if organic malt is more eco-friendly, mind you.) It's like saying "Is helping one starving kid really going to make a big difference in the scheme of things?"

Old 08-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Why not just buy carbon credits and call it a day?

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Quick Reply