Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Should I quit my brewing job?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013, 01:35 AM   #21
+HopSpunge+
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts

It sucks ballz everywere now. The economy is total crap. Inflation up the ying-yang. Keep your chin up no matter the decision. And piss in the bosses coffee if you do decide to leave.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:46 AM   #22
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 245 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I had a look over on www.probrewer.com forum and came out with this

Quote:
Howdy all,
Sorry for the stupid delay in posting this info. I have no excuse.

I did not get a heck of a lot of feedback on what people are being paid but to those that did respond, Thank You.

Here is a breakdown:

Annual Production 500-1000 bbls: Head Brewer wage= 23k-38k
Asst. Brewer wage=19k

Annual Production 1000-2000 bbls: Head Brewer wage= 38k-60k
Asst. Brewer wage= 28k-34k

Annual Production 20000 bbls: Head Brewer wage= 42k

The average Head Brewer wage from my small data set is $43616.00 and the Asst. Brewer average is $24016.00.
I know these numbers seem kinda' all over that map and don't totally jive with production increase but this is what I found.

From an old New Brewer issue (2006), their survey found the Head Brewer's average wage was 38k (500-1000bbl), 43k (1000-2000) and Asst. Brewer's $10/hr (500-1000bbl), $12/hr (1000-2000bbl). These figures are, of course, four years old and they were for brewpubs.

I'd love to hear more current numbers.
So $400 per week for a assistant brewer in a small brewer actually looks in line with the above... sorry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 02:05 AM   #23
Heavywalker
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Take care of your family, beyond that nothing else really matters.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #24
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 32

My friends are head and assistant at a young brewery in Chicago. They are always griping about the pay. They both have minority ownership stakes that require payout if they leave I think though. It's not a great industry for pay unfortunately. They have offered me positions but I can't afford to work there.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Old 06-20-2013, 02:08 AM   #25
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 430

If you have the goods, a decent paying brewery will want you. You're in Fredricksberg, right? Not too far from San Antonio and, unless I am mistaken, there are several breweries there. I would be putting out resumes

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 06-20-2013, 02:22 AM   #26
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 13

If the job isn't paying the bills and your bosses aren't willing to make changes to that problem, then yeah, it's time to look for a new job, especially if you have family depending on you. Awesome workplace or no.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:30 AM   #27
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Brewing is a tough industry. Your pay sounds about industry standard, unfortunately. HEAD brewers/Brewmasters are LUCKY to make about double what you make, and that's someone with years of experience running a large production brewery. The stats mattd2 quotes are just the reality of the industry.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 06-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #28
beersk
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 62 Posts

$800 every 2 weeks? That's what I make and I don't have any problems. I live with my girlfriend and she makes about the same. I don't have kids, so that's a major factor. I hope your wife works, it shouldn't all be on you. How long of a drive is it to the brewery from your house? I ride a bike to work, saves A LOT of money. I wouldn't quit a job you love. Being happy is more important than money. But if you're REALLY struggling, then, yeah, I suppose you should be looking for better opportunities. But don't just go work in a sh*tty oil field for the money, that sounds like a really crappy job.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #29
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Brewing is a tough industry. Your pay sounds about industry standard, unfortunately. HEAD brewers/Brewmasters are LUCKY to make about double what you make, and that's someone with years of experience running a large production brewery. The stats mattd2 quotes are just the reality of the industry.
In some ways this is just weird to me. I mean owner makes all the $$ and everyone else is paid crap. Sure I get that to some extent because the labor is basically something anyone can be trained to. when a head brewer would spend 70% of his time cleaning and only 30% brewing, then everyone else is spending a lot less time brewing.

But what is weird is I heard a few years back that brewing has the largest profit margin of ANY business catagory. Insurance about 2 to 5%. Oil company? 9%.... Brewers? typically 25% *** I only heard the end statistic the 25%, and that can very easily be skewed by the 90% of the sales are made by BMC and those companies could be doing 25% profit and everyone else 1% and you'd still have clost to industry average of 25%

Still seems weird.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #30
Stirs
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Some people don't realize the risk the owner takes on in starting a business. The reward has to be worth it. The guys who came along with you as you built it sometimes share in this, but as a rule, there will always be the low man on the totem pole.

Quick Reply