New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Should I quit my brewing job?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #11
Hoppy_Chulo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

I'm thinking of going to the oil field business . I'll be away from family for awhile but at least ill get paid what I'm worth. Starting pay is from 5-6 thousand a month. Ill miss the **** outta of brewing and all my friends . I wanted to go to school for Brewing and further my career but I don't think that's going to pan out.if I can't pay bills or put food on the table .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #12
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy_Chulo View Post
It's tough to swallow when the person that works with you makes over double what you make and your doing the brunt of all the work.
i feel your pain. i'm the go-to i.t. guy in my company, but there is 1 guy who has been there 3 years (compared to my 10+ ) who is making 15% more and is WAY LESS qualified. the boss makes double and shunts everything to me. do i put up with it? yes, as it pays the bills and a little extra. do i complain? no, because it's my decision, not anyone else's

not trying to be mean or overbearing about it. just trying to give you a feel about what is needed to make the decision. best of luck in the job search. just consider the thought of having another 1 before losing the 1 you have.

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #13
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 207

yeah.... what are your options? Quit, and do what? Do you have other training?
But, $800 every two weeks is certainly pretty terrible money - especially if you are talking pretax. And, is it 40 hours per week? If you are working 80 hours for $800 ..... that is only $10 an hour- you can make that doing any number of things.
But, it is all perspective. If you end up working a job you hate, for $900 every two weeks...... well, what was the point. I would look for better jobs, while keeping this job. The second you find a better job/money I would go for it.

Secondary: Sour Cherry Stout, German Pils, Dortmunder
Future Brews: Dark Mild, British Bitter, Oatmeal Amber, American Brown, American wheat, American Pale Ale
kingogames Likes This 
Old 06-20-2013, 01:03 AM   #14
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
i feel your pain. i'm the go-to i.t. guy in my company, but there is 1 guy who has been there 3 years (compared to my 10+ ) who is making 15% more and is WAY LESS qualified. the boss makes double and shunts everything to me. do i put up with it? yes, as it pays the bills and a little extra. do i complain? no, because it's my decision, not anyone else's

not trying to be mean or overbearing about it. just trying to give you a feel about what is needed to make the decision. best of luck in the job search. just consider the thought of having another 1 before losing the 1 you have.
What? really? That makes no sense, is he the boss's family or something? Have you mentioned anything to you boss during performance reviews (not about his performance but about your worth)? Your boss might be taking you for a ride for as long as you are happy to go along with what your being given, while the other guy is vocal about getting more.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:04 AM   #15
Hoppy_Chulo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Thanks for all your replies and listening to me vent. Ill defiantly get 1 lined up if I decide to quit. I'm just scared of change and an uncertain future.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:09 AM   #16
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
What? really? That makes no sense, is he the boss's family or something? Have you mentioned anything to you boss during performance reviews (not about his performance but about your worth)? Your boss might be taking you for a ride for as long as you are happy to go along with what your being given, while the other guy is vocal about getting more.
i've tangled with him more than you know. it's all about i started when the company was paying less, and they don't give pay raises based on merit; it's just a yearly increase. corporate bureaucratic america

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #17
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 36

OP - are you a good worker? does your boss think you are a good worker? how easy would it be to replace you, i.e. if you left what are the chances of getting another person that will work as hard as you?
If you/them think you are a good asset to the company they should be willing to do something to keep you around. It might be career suicide but maybe mentioning that at what you are getting paid it is becoming tough to live on, and it is making you to have to seriously consider moving on. If you are worth it they will find a way to keep you around, after all it will cost them more to train up a new guy. That is if they have any business sense.

Hoppy_Chulo Likes This 
Old 06-20-2013, 01:15 AM   #18
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I had to leave a fantastic job in consulting for a government crap job because I needed the benefits. It still stings 5 years later. At least there I was making 40k a year and had a cheap mortgage. Now I make double that but live in Chicago where everything is so expensive that the extra pay is a wash.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Old 06-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #19
northcal
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Sometimes you gotta make a significant change in your life to get a dream job that pays a fair wage for doing what you love.

Before you throw the towel in on a brewing career, look to moving to another part of the state or country and see if your skills would be more in demand elsewhere.

Best of luck!

Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #20
CG2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My hat's off to you for considering the needs of your family over "living the dream" working as a brewer. There's lots of good advice here. Weigh options, line something up, and do what's right for you and your kin. - CG2

Quick Reply