Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Should I buy this equipment?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
AT2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2
Default Should I buy this equipment?

Hi all! I am new here and new to home brewing. I am really obsessing over brewing my own beer and have been researching and looking at equipment for a little while now. I found some stuff for sale but wanted to check here if it is a good deal. The guy wants $800 OBO and said he hasn't brewed in a couple years and is selling to help buy his kid a car.






Along with this stuff he says he has an "ugly" keggerator, Jockey box, 100+ grolsh bottles, 2 glass carboys and more.

My first plan was to just get enough stuff to make is so I can all grain brew 5 gallon batches and then eventually buy the stuff needed to be able to keg, but this seems like a good deal with everything that is included, or am I wrong?

__________________
AT2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
waldzinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Waxhaw, NC
Posts: 146
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Not a bad assortment of stuff for the price. My one concern is the fact that he's selling very good condition keggles, which leads me to believe he sourced them from...welll....himself. I'm not one to harp on people for illegal kegs, but ya know...karma and all. I guess he could have gotten them from a legit source. Not sure how you factor that into your price. What's a deposit on a keg run in your parts? You can assume that's how much he paid for the kegs.

EDIT: I'm referring to the 1/2bbls, not the cornies. Wasn't clear about that I guess.

__________________

Na zdrowie!

Primary: I think I'm turning Japanese APA
Secondary: Chocolate Wheat Porter
Bottle: Wynona's Big Brown Ale Clone, Hefeweizen

waldzinator is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
Nightshade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richland, WA
Posts: 1,421
Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldzinator View Post
Not a bad assortment of stuff for the price. My one concern is the fact that he's selling very good condition keggles, which leads me to believe he sourced them from...welll....himself. I'm not one to harp on people for illegal kegs, but ya know...karma and all. I guess he could have gotten them from a legit source. Not sure how you factor that into your price. What's a deposit on a keg run in your parts? You can assume that's how much he paid for the kegs.

EDIT: I'm referring to the 1/2bbls, not the cornies. Wasn't clear about that I guess.
I hate how people are so quick to jump on this wagon. Working as a brewer I have just acquired the first of my kegs for a keggle system and got a great deal on a legit keg in good shape.

Sometimes people get good deals, sometimes they pass them along and sometimes it isn't worth trying to recoup the cost invested into something you haven't used in some time because you just want it gone.

The buyer is purchasing in good faith with no reason to doubt it is misplaced.
__________________

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Nightshade is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
outside92129's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 1,148
Liked 55 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

If you went and bought all this new, it'd cost you a fair bit. And the time to assemble it all. Here's what you might expect to pay for all the stuff in the pics:

$75/ea for the burners ($225)
$60/ea for the cornies ($240)
$100 for the tank/reg
$110 for the mill (assuming basic model)
$80 for the chiller
$20 for the scale
$25 for the sparge arm
$50 for the paddle
$27 sight glass
$25/ea for the weldless bulkhead/valve ($75)
$50/ea kegs (if fair scrap?) - $150
$50 false bottom + dip tube
$40/ea carboy ($80)
$10 bottles
$100 kegerator
$40 jockey box
$20 random tubing in the box in the background

total: $1402 + taxes + shipping

__________________
outside92129 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
waldzinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Waxhaw, NC
Posts: 146
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Sometimes people get good deals, sometimes they pass them along and sometimes it isn't worth trying to recoup the cost invested into something you haven't used in some time because you just want it gone.

The buyer is purchasing in good faith with no reason to doubt it is misplaced.
No doubt. I've gotten my kegs from a mixed bag. One I bought directly from a brewery, the other I rescued from the back of a scrap dumpster for a small price. I'm not saying not to purchase it, and if I sounded like I was presuming guilt, I was not. All I was saying was, buyer beware. It can't hurt to ask the seller. If you place a high value on getting legal kegs, that is something you want to consider. If not (and I actually fall into the latter category), then don't sweat it.
__________________

Na zdrowie!

Primary: I think I'm turning Japanese APA
Secondary: Chocolate Wheat Porter
Bottle: Wynona's Big Brown Ale Clone, Hefeweizen

waldzinator is offline
Nightshade Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,872
Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 999

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside92129 View Post
If you went and bought all this new, it'd cost you a fair bit. And the time to assemble it all. Here's what you might expect to pay for all the stuff in the pics:

$75/ea for the burners ($225)
$60/ea for the cornies ($240)
$100 for the tank/reg
$110 for the mill (assuming basic model)
$80 for the chiller
$20 for the scale
$25 for the sparge arm
$50 for the paddle
$27 sight glass
$25/ea for the weldless bulkhead/valve ($75)
$50/ea kegs (if fair scrap?) - $150
$50 false bottom + dip tube
$40/ea carboy ($80)
$10 bottles
$100 kegerator
$40 jockey box
$20 random tubing in the box in the background

total: $1402 + taxes + shipping
I didn't see $800 worth of stuff, but I didn't see the kegerator.

The list above may be accurate- but lots of that stuff you don't need or wouldn't buy if it wasn't already there.

Unless I was sure I could use the system, I would hesitate. It's a gravity system, and that's fine for many. But I would not have any use for the bottles, the carboys, etc- so it wouldn't be much of a bargain for me.

It really depends on you as a new brewer, and where you see yourself going in the hobby. It's a lot of money for stuff that you may never use, or it's a good deal if you'll use everything he's selling.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Francus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Francus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 101
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I think it is a good deal. That said, he says $800 obo. So offer him $675 or so and let him work you up to $725. Make it a better deal

__________________
Francus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
Nightshade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richland, WA
Posts: 1,421
Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldzinator View Post
No doubt. I've gotten my kegs from a mixed bag. One I bought directly from a brewery, the other I rescued from the back of a scrap dumpster for a small price. I'm not saying not to purchase it, and if I sounded like I was presuming guilt, I was not. All I was saying was, buyer beware. It can't hurt to ask the seller. If you place a high value on getting legal kegs, that is something you want to consider. If not (and I actually fall into the latter category), then don't sweat it.
Wasn't really calling you out on it, more pointing out that there are many ways of getting kegs that are all good faith purchases. What makes it harder is there is no simple "keg registration" line that you could possibly check to make sure it is legit.
__________________

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Nightshade is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
AT2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks for all the replies. And thanks for the breakdown outside92129.

Im still mulling over it. It is a decent amount of money especially for me right now.

__________________
AT2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Darwin18's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 4,454
Liked 713 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Default

It's a fairly good deal in my opinion if you're going to use all that equipment. If you're looking to upgrade a few pieces than it might not be worth it. The kegging system alone is probably around $200 - $300 depending on the quality and state of the kegerator.

__________________
BJCP #F0684 - Certified
Darwin18 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All grain equipment and kegging equipment Zippox Equipment/Sanitation 4 04-22-2013 01:01 AM
Trade - Scuba equipment for brewing equipment drewmedic23 For Sale 2 09-11-2012 04:30 AM
For Sale - WTT: Bass Guitar equipment for Homebrewing and kegging equipment DIPAfool For Sale 1 03-02-2011 05:55 PM
For Sale - Wanted: Corny Kegs, Carboys, Kegging Equipment, Kegerator equipment (Los Angeles) jordan725 For Sale 5 10-31-2009 12:06 AM
Beer Equipment -> Wine Equipment SteveStLoo Equipment/Sanitation 5 12-05-2008 05:01 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS