The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Shops and bottles to look for in Chicago.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
Klickmania
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Shops and bottles to look for in Chicago.

I know these threads show up a bunch and I tried doing some searches but they flat out suck on my phone. So here goes.

I will be in the Chicagoland area (Downers Grove/Naperville area) for a few days over Christmas time. I probably won't have time to visit any breweries due to my schedule which sucks, but hey...it's the holidays.

ANYWHO, I grew up in this area but moved away before I turned 21 and I would love to try some of the brews from around here. I was wondering what beers should I be looking for in the shops around here? Also what are some of the stores that you would recommend? I'm planning on bringing about $100 for myself when we go and would like a good range of stuff to bring back to SC with me. Any input will help and is definitely appreciated! Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

P.S. I'm not really looking for winter/Christmas beers exclusively. I like most beer styles as it is, but IPAs are definitely a favorite.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #3
jetboiler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I like Two Brothers Brewery. They distribute regionally. So you should be able to find some in the area.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #4
TheBreweryUnderground
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Binny's normally has the best selection around, but if you make it into the city West Lakeview Liquor is great. My favorites are Pipeworks, 3 Floyd's, Half Acre, Two Brothers. Also I've been looking forward to trying Spiteful Brewing's GFY Stout. If you get lucky occasionally people have been finding BCBS around. Ratebeer has a good function where you can search the best beers available or made by state.

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Old 12-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #5
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks fellas! I'm familiar with a fair amount of the brands and stuff in the area, just not specific beers they make. Since I don't have a chance to sample a lot of the stuff they offer I'd like to make the most out of this trip is what I'm saying, really.

Say I had to get one bomber from each/most. What would you pick up?

Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreweryUnderground View Post
Binny's normally has the best selection around, but if you make it into the city West Lakeview Liquor is great. My favorites are Pipeworks, 3 Floyd's, Half Acre, Two Brothers. Also I've been looking forward to trying Spiteful Brewing's GFY Stout. If you get lucky occasionally people have been finding BCBS around. Ratebeer has a good function where you can search the best beers available or made by state.
This is good info. Seeing as how you are from SC founders and jolly pumpkin would also be good to look for, but founders is more about porter and stouts and JP is all about sours, not the IPAs you seek. Binnys will have tons of stuff, try and pick up som pizza port IPAs.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
JBCSL
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If your flying into midway the best place to go is archer liquors, they like to specialize in the local stuff and sell by the bottle so you can get a lot of variety. Plus the usually have zombie dust in stock.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
TheBreweryUnderground
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

3F Dreadnaught, Zombie Dust, anything else
2Brothers Cane & Abel
Half Acre Daisy Cutter, and Big Hugs if you go to their brewery/bottle shop is coming out on Saturday
Founders Red's Rye is awesome in addition to their Porter and Breakfast Stout
Pipeworks whatever Unicorn or Ninja beer they have out now

Those are all my go to beers

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Old 12-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Newmanwell
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's a bit of a drive from Naperville but if you want to cross the border to Indiana I recommend visiting the Three Floyds brewpub. I'm flying in Christmas morning and can't wait for the day after Christmas.

Kegged: German Pilsner, California Common, Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: American Barleywinne
Lagering: Sam Adams Light clone
Primary: Rye IPA, Simcoe SMaSH, APA

Old 12-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks a ton guys! We actually get Founders down here so if I see something we don't get here in hick town I'll probably pick some up.

I didn't even think about jolly pumpkin, which is great because I absolutely love sours. Not looking for IPAs strictly so keep the funky stuff coming!

What about Goose Island? I know they have a big barrel program. Or do they only sell those at the brewery?

Also, is Zombie Dust usually available year round? Or is that seasonal?

Quick Reply