Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Shelf-Life of Bottled Homebrew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
brujo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Shelf-Life of Bottled Homebrew?

I bottled an Irish Stout in about May and then a Euro Bock in June (both were extract kits, my first two batches). I was thinking of saving them for late Fall/Winter for some special occasion or another... but will they be likely to last that long?

Sure, to a certain extent it depends on the ingredients and conditions; I'm keeping them in a light-tight cooler in the basement at about 70degF. I'd hate to waste good beer if they won't even be good by then. Anyone have thoughts/experiences with shelf-life of homebrew?

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
1fastdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm drinking a nut brown that I bottled in November that improved up to late spring and seems to taste the same now as it did then. It's better now than it was at 4 months in the bottle.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
brujo
Recipes 

Cool, thanks! Think I'll save them for the holidays!

Old 08-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I think just about any home brew is going to store 6 months if stored in good conditions. Higher gravity beers may not even start getting good until they spend that long in the bottle.
Your best bet is to try one every month or so until either it stops improving or it starts showing signs of getting worse. A stout or bock I would expect to store at least a year maybe a couple years without problem. Now a session beer or a wheat beer is probably not going to last as long.
Craig

Old 03-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 338 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 365

I have a partial mash recipe of a cocoa and coffee milk stout that I would like to save until next winter. I have been told that all grain recipes last much longer than extract recipes in the bottles. Will my extract stout recipe make it to next winter?

There are no small parts, only small actors.

Last edited by mattmmille; 03-15-2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: correction

Old 03-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
prpromin
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

beers that age well are typically higher gravity recipes that don't rely on a very hoppy profile for flavor (think IPA as an example of a beer you'd rather have fresh). AG or extract doesn't make much of a difference, IMO. I have an extract barleywine from a few years ago that has aged just fine.

For your question, we'd probably need to know a little more, but flavors tend to fade over time. If you want to slow the aging process, properly storing your beer is the way to go (stable, cool, and dark place). Also, refrigerating the beer will slow the aging even further.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 117

It really depends on the style, but any beer will be drinkable for a very long time. They may change but not spoil if proper sanitization was used, and they are stored someplace cool and dark.

IPA's lose that hop freshness pretty fast. Some beers like Belgians age very well. I have some that are over three years old and continue to change.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #8
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hmmm. I pretty much knew that a stout would age better than say, a wheat beer, for example. But I was wondering, since this is an extract brew, rather than an all grain, if that shortened the shelf life to less than 10 months or so? Sounds like it won't "spoil". It will be stored at around 68-70F in a room that is dark most of the tome and should not need to be moved often, if at all. I wonder if it will actually improve over that time? I'm also considering the oxygen absorbing caps...any experience with those?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:41 AM   #9
mrduna01
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmmille View Post
Hmmm. I pretty much knew that a stout would age better than say, a wheat beer, for example. But I was wondering, since this is an extract brew, rather than an all grain, if that shortened the shelf life to less than 10 months or so? Sounds like it won't "spoil". It will be stored at around 68-70F in a room that is dark most of the tome and should not need to be moved often, if at all. I wonder if it will actually improve over that time? I'm also considering the oxygen absorbing caps...any experience with those?
Thread hijack alert

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 03-16-2014, 03:50 AM   #10
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduna01 View Post
Thread hijack alert

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app
Really? Yeah, I'm 'jackin' a thread that, before I posted to it today, was last posted to in August of 2007!!! My questions pertain to, let's see...what's the name of the thread? "Shelf-Life of Bottled Homebrew". I have heard that all grain brews last longer than extract brews. I am about to bottle an extract brew milk stout and wonder if the shelf life will accomodate holding on to the bottles until next winter (as we are getting out of the season for this style, for this year). I am also under the impression that oxygen absorbing crowns extend the shelf life and am asking if anyone has had experience with them. NOW, tell me exactly how that is hijacking this thread?! It all looks laser-focused relevant to me. If a moderator disagrees, I'd appreciate an appropriate thread referral. Otherwise, let's help each other out and leave the snarky comments in high school.

Keith_O Likes This 

Quick Reply