Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > shelf life

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
beerhound28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default shelf life

Hello yall
I just brewed a belgian style golden ale..problem is i under shot my preboil target OG by alot.I was lucky to have a pound and a half of DME lying around,i added the DME at the end of the boil..Post boil Og was 1.060..the thing is, i brewed this particular beer for christmas,being a belgian style i wanted to give it months of conditioning.I plan on adding some sugar(candi sugar) when the fermentation slows..i was shooting for a 8-9% beer not only for character but for cellaring stability..Will a 1.060 beer be vinegar by december? Any tricks to boosting a beer 10 points during fermentation?
cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
DeNomad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I kegged a 1.060 in September. I'm still drinking it, it's still fine, not as hoppy when it was fresh though and starting to get some CO2 bite. Golden strong will likely be a style that ages well.

I added candi sugar to my quad in secondary and it worked well. Tips... if you don't know how much you have in your primary - fill another container identical to your primary fermentor with water to the same level as your primary. Measure the volume of the water and use that volume to do calcs on how much candi sugar to add.

Primary: Yooper_Brew's Dead Guy Clone, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter
Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale, Pliney the Elder Clone

Old 03-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
beerhound28
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNomad View Post
I kegged a 1.060 in September. I'm still drinking it, it's still fine, not as hoppy when it was fresh though and starting to get some CO2 bite. Golden strong will likely be a style that ages well.

I added candi sugar to my quad in secondary and it worked well. Tips... if you don't know how much you have in your primary - fill another container identical to your primary fermentor with water to the same level as your primary. Measure the volume of the water and use that volume to do calcs on how much candi sugar to add.
Good tip..thanks alot

Quick Reply