Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #21
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Teach a man to fish and all that.

Anyway, life's too short to hoard brew. If you make beer at another man's house, it's his beer, IMO. I brew often enough and well enough people seek me out for beer. Who cares? If I give away enough cheap beer, it'll come back to me. Why would be you be cheap with your friends?

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #22
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 188

I have an older family friend who has trouble thinking sometimes. I have given him wort/beer, last year I gave him 20gallons of wart and the last time he showed up on brew day with dirty carboys, after I told him 5 times "the carboys better be clean". When I get to be 75y/o I wonder who will brew for me? Looking back 20 gallons was too much to give away, for that I am a jerk.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #23
StusBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Finally got a reply back from the guy. Nothing set as of yet. He's working or something and busy, but looking at trying to set a date for next weekend. Mind you this is going slower than 90-minute boil! I'm thinking next weekend would only be dinner with family etc. From there, set recipe and when to brew.
Rereading this......It sounds like a courtship! Ugh.... I already went through that once with my wife.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #24
Diaperload
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm not sure where Willard is, but if it is close to Portland you can come by our club and brew some Sunday. We teach around 5 people to brew a year. Use our equipment. We'll show your friend how. We only have 2 steadfast rules though. First, if it's your brew you must be there for bottling day. Second rule, leave a 6 pack for the club to try/critique.

"I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #25
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBrew
Finally got a reply back from the guy. Nothing set as of yet. He's working or something and busy, but looking at trying to set a date for next weekend. Mind you this is going slower than 90-minute boil! I'm thinking next weekend would only be dinner with family etc. From there, set recipe and when to brew.
Rereading this......It sounds like a courtship! Ugh.... I already went through that once with my wife.
I wouldn't over think it or stress about it. Let him make the effort to get with you and set those things up for when it works for you. You've put the ball in his court and now its his turn to return it. Since you've already put it out there, if he's serious about it he will make the attempts to make it happen. Just my 2 cents.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/cascades-key-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Simcoe Cream Ale
Primary : Soon to be filled
On Tap : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 03-20-2013, 03:34 AM   #26
StusBrew
Recipes 

Got an e-mail from him today. He had talked about having family come over for dinner and chit chat, etc. Fine. My problem is patience. Forget dinner, just want to brew. Well, got an e-mail from him Monday evening. He was in Vancouver for a meeting or something and picked up ingredients! Well, alright man. There's a start. He says he's really excited. So, now my part of bargain of setting aside time to get him into it. Though this weekend I'll be doing a lot of wrench turning on our rigs! I can't help but get excited now!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 AM   #27
StusBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaperload View Post
I'm not sure where Willard is, but if it is close to Portland you can come by our club and brew some Sunday. We teach around 5 people to brew a year. Use our equipment. We'll show your friend how. We only have 2 steadfast rules though. First, if it's your brew you must be there for bottling day. Second rule, leave a 6 pack for the club to try/critique.
Willard is in the Gorge! Between up the Little White Salmon, between White Salmon and Carson. 20 minutes from any post office or store! Well, it's funny. Keep pointing him other directions as well. He's finding out there are quite a few people he's talked with, and that I know. That brew. So I think he's quite excited.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #28
StusBrew
Recipes 

Okay everyone. Update. Ugh...This guy and his family are super nice. Loved hanging out with them on brew day at their house. Problem is: he kind of has this flex/work from home thing going on. We were there on a Saturday almost 6 weeks ago. Beautiful day. They have goats and chickens. 3 boys. Nice house. 10 acres. So all in all, this guy gets phone calls for work. Also the freakin' goats were pregnant and just as we started the boil, one decided to deliver. So...ugh. Then we were chilling the wort to pitch the yeast. He got a phone call. By now, a 2.5 - 3 hour extract brew day has now turned into something like 5 or 6 hours. Granted we showed up and they had crustless quiche (gluten free) and corn bread, etc. Bsed for an hour or so.
I brought my bucket for fermenting in. Brought cleanser and all that stuff. Long story short. he wanted to use mason jars. Why not? point is whatever works for him. So 2 eeks later, gave him my bottling bucket. Then his wife asked him if he was sure mason jars would work. So he checked it out on-line. So had to get some bottles. I had about 24 spare bottles. Some 22 oz. and 12 oz. So I told him 2 weeks in primary. then we bottle. Well, 2 weeks is up. It's now working on middle of week 4 since. So 6 weeks. No sign if he's bottled yet. It's been hard to connect for one thing. We see each other on Sundays for Mass and then we chit chat via e-mail. He's probably tired of hearing from me about whether he's bottled or not. Dragging on. this guy is way too busy. he says he enjoyed it, so that's good. problem is, he hasn't bottled yet!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #29
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

You can lead a horse to water but cannot make him drink. I would not stress over it and brew some for yourself.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #30
brewkinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking_Target View Post
If he can't afford the $20 for an ale pail and airlock, then he probably shouldn't be brewing.
That is exactly how I handled this situation.

Coworkers husband came to my house, he bought $12 bucket with lid.

We brewed twice that day and he is scheduled to come over this weekend and bottle it.
I have him hooked though, he paid for my ingredients and I gave him an older brass ball valve for an igloo cooler that he has.

Our brew club has doubled in size!

PRIMARY: End of Summer Mish-Mash Ale
SECONDARY-NADA
SECONDARY-NOTHIN'
Conditioning and Drinking: Bass Ale Clone
Conditioning and Drinking:Regal Pale Ale
Conditioning and Drinking:Dirty Blonde Ale
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Quick Reply