New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sharing Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1656 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

^^^& in the right way...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
StusBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Thanks guys. One thing I'll mention (wanted some opinions from other people and keep it somewhat unbiased). He has talked about how he's learned to barter. And willing to trade services for services. Haven't talked much about it and I am open to it. Just trying to figure out appropriate thing to do without me feeling like I'm spending the money and using my stuff that has taken me a few years to collect. When he expects the beer. Well, really haven't talked about it much. I'm thinking dual brew. Show him extract or whatnot, a plastic pail with airlock. A stock pot to boil 2 - 2.5 gallons, add water later method. Then same day, show him my current technique with batch sparging. I'll consider that. It's not much to buy your own buckets!

Old 03-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

Now you're back on the rails...

Old 03-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #14
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBrew View Post
Thanks guys. One thing I'll mention (wanted some opinions from other people and keep it somewhat unbiased). He has talked about how he's learned to barter. And willing to trade services for services. Haven't talked much about it and I am open to it. Just trying to figure out appropriate thing to do without me feeling like I'm spending the money and using my stuff that has taken me a few years to collect. When he expects the beer. Well, really haven't talked about it much. I'm thinking dual brew. Show him extract or whatnot, a plastic pail with airlock. A stock pot to boil 2 - 2.5 gallons, add water later method. Then same day, show him my current technique with batch sparging. I'll consider that. It's not much to buy your own buckets!
Well that makes it easy...just trade him beer for something else. If you really want to "cross the t's and dot the i's" have him pitch the yeast so technically he "made" the beer. That should appease everyone around here....

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Old 03-11-2013, 03:42 AM   #15
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 116

In my job I get a little lucky every once in a while in that I work in people's garages and twice have ended up in the midst of an ex-home brewer. Chatted a little and ended up with enough equipment for 2+ full beginners+ setups. Soon after setting up the best kits I could without damaging my setup I started asking around to friends to see who might be interested in brewing themselves. Found 2 friends that had been on the fence for some time and just gave them what I had put together. One friend has been very busy running and re-opening a business so no brewing from him. The other sat on the equipment for a couple of months, but when he did finally get to brewing went ape-$417!! He has, I think, 50+ gallons and has only started brewing in the last couple of months. I stopped by his place earlier today and he was doing 2 10 gallon batches back to back. HE'S A MADMAN! Making good beer though.

If you have extra beginner equipment to give or lend I would just do that. Invite him over and do a brew apiece and he is hooked.

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Chocolate Stout, Lite Citra Ale and a Citra SmAsH.
In the Fridge - New Castle Brown Ale, Chimay and Milk Stout.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:19 AM   #16
catdaddy66

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk
I show people all the time--my equipment, my ingredients, my recipe, my house. When it is done I give him a twelve out of the batch.
This is a good compromise in all areas, I think. I would be on board for doing it this way. It spreads knowledge and he gets a few bottles to enjoy while you keep the bulk of the product.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 AM   #17
bds3
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've taught a friend to brew. We split the cost of the ingredients, he came over and I basically brewed it for him (while he took notes) with all of my equipment, and when it came to bottling time he brought his own and took half the batch home. THEN he bought his own stuff. He didn't know if he'd like it enough to spend the money on everything.

That's also how I got into it; another friend did the same for me. If you're not willing to so much as share your brewing equipment for someone who might or might not want to get into the hobby, then either they're not a very good friend to you or you need to lighten up.

The biggest deal for me was that I didn't want to give away my bottles (I'm obsessive about my bottles and only other homebrewers know how much of a hassle cleaning them is and therefore make an effort to give them back). The 15 bucks to split the cost of ingredients wasn't as big a deal.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #18
Braufessor
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Ye p - as others have mentioned:

* I have had others buy their ingredients and I helped them on my equipment, at my house - I kept a six pack just for tasting.

*I have gone to beginners house and helped them with their first brew on their equipment (maybe brought my wort chiller or some piece of equipment).

*Have had beginners over to watch me brew and let them sample my beers.

Would NEVER loan out my equipment for the most part.... some odd things maybe, but definitely nothing important.

Would not get in the habit of having someone using my stuff, at my house on any kind of regular basis... I think that would get old.

Would consider brewing/splitting batches (and cost) if the person was someone I got along with well and liked brewing with.

I think the key is that everyone usually agrees that you want to help and encourage beginners - we were all there. But, you don't want to get to the point where you are getting taken advantage of, or making your own brewing and time suffer.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #19
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

I think you put it quite succsinctly brauffessor. Sums it up nicely!

Old 03-12-2013, 04:25 AM   #20
StusBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Awesome. I like I'm getting different points of views. sometimes, just got to gauge myself somehow to see if I'm being unreasonable. Mostly I'm thinking: possible brew partner. share cost on base malt or something. It was just all his talk about bartering and in my head I'm thinking, "are you just getting me to brew beer for you???" I'm thinking going to this guy's house with web resources, catalogs, interweb sites. Talk with him about different set-ups, techniques, etc. Fully loaded. Brew in a bag, extract, all-grain. Variations.

Quick Reply