Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > To shake or not to shake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
Brewho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default To shake or not to shake

Go to my thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/appl...e-jack-200840/

and tell me if you think i should shake it or not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

I wrote this earlier today, you might want to take it to heart. Just change the word "beer" with "cider" or "currently fermenting beverage I am obsessing over."

Quote:
New brewers tend to think they need to hover over their fermenters and "do something" every minute of the day, and the minute something seems amiss, or different, they instantly think the yeast has stopped. But that is almost NEVER the case.

One thing to realize, unless you are brewing a high gravity beer, as you say, "Or did fermentation stop somewhat prematurely" rarely ever happens. Unless you have a major drop in temperature. The yeast doesn't just arbitrarily decide to stop what it's doing and take a vacation, that's an unfounded newbie fear, usually based on their idea that airlocks HAVE to bubble.

99% of the time the yeast will do it's job, and attenuate the beer fully if you let it. The rest of the time, especially with extract, it may stop at 1.020 or 1.030. But that's still not the yeast going gang busters on day one, and not, to a nervous new brewer's eyes, not behaving as it should be, the next day and therefore has stopped.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that anything's wrong, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working dilligantly away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years.

Or like many of us do simply relax, and trust the yeast to do their job. If you've given the yeast a good foundation, aerated and santitized properly, given the yeast the right nutrients, and pitched plenty of yeast to do the job, Then the yeast WILL do it's job, 99% of the time.

We really don't need to be all "figity wigity" and hover over everything, doing that we stress out too much, and we're tempted to try to fix something that more than likely doesn't need fixing at all.

You want to know how to ruin you beer? Mess with it.

I pitch my yeast, and come back 1 month later and bottle. And I've never had a beer not ferment for me....it really is that simple.
That should give you MY answer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Brewho
Recipes 

ok pitched the yeast wednesday night, and the bubbling is still very very sparse,like once every 10 15 seconds. There is a slight layer forming onthe top, but shouldnt there be more by now. it still looks like the ram grain sugar i put in is sittin at the bottum. Can someone give me some feedback without this snobby attitude of "just let it ferment" "yeastknows what its doing" blah blah blah thousands of years" I am letting it ferment. i am not staying up at night worrying. Im just asking some questions to get a better idea. isnt vigerous fermentation usually a better sign?

Old 10-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
snowman
Recipes 

did u aireate/agitate the wort before pitching?

Old 10-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
TokyoRoad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewho View Post
and tell me if you think i should shake it or not.
Be sure to shake, but it is critical you shake in a predominantly anti-clockwise fashion, otherwise the yeast get confused and produce BMC in your beer.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
beowulf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Brewho - you're not going to make any friends here with that attitude. Revvy was just offering some insightful advice. He has helped many, many people on this site. I can assure you nothing snobbish was meant by it. Perhaps you require a more direct response....well here goes...don't mess with it when the yeast is working!

I could murder a pint! -Lovejoy

Old 10-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 8

We should try to think of some catchy phrase, along the lines of "Chill out dude, stop stressing about it, and drink some home made beer", but I can't think of a good way to say it...

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 10-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Brewho
Recipes 

ok let me retract the word snob if it causes discontent. but i notice this attitude here of "chill out dude stop stressing about it and drink some home made beer" and it seems to me to be either a cop out for lack of a good answer or a "hoppier than though" knee jerk attitude towards the novice" When im asking a question its because im curious and want to learn more about brewing and how to do it right. I lost dave millers home brewingbook , so i am forced to find my answers here.

thank you Beowulf for giving me the direct answer i needed.

When i poured the cider into the carboy it probably recieved some aeration but perhaps not enough. I think i will probably take beowulfs advice though and let the yeast sit. it is valuble information to know that yeast doesnt want to be shaken. because simple logic would say the more aeration the better. I am guessing however that the krausen needs to stay a cake at the top and doesnt want to get mixed into the beer. are my assumptions correct?

Thanks for your responses and happy brewing.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
Brewho
Recipes 

and im also assuming tokyo road is full of ****.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The thing is, all of us have been exactly where you're at, not so long ago. We really do understand that you want to see a thick layer of churning kreusen, you want it now, and you want to know how to get it. Well, we can't give it to you. We can't tell you what to do, because there really is nothing to do. You're starting to see the layer form, so things are actually looking good. It might even be that while you take the time to read this, a massive blowoff is covering your ceiling with foam.

Be sure to take pictures if that happens.

Enjoy!

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Quick Reply