Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Serving homebrew at public events?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
JacquesPerrault
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Serving homebrew at public events?

I am a member of a local, private, not-for-profit association, and we are planning events for the year. A clambake has been proposed, and I'd like to provide a few kegs of homebrew for the event.

We would NOT be selling the homebrew; rather, we would sell tickets to the event, which gets you a meal ticket that includes a complimentary beverage of your choice.

I don't expect any definitive legal answers out of this forum, but any pointers, or past experience would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You will need to contact your local ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control) and get the necessary permits to even serve commercial beer. I'm guessing they'll say no way on homebrew.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped04 View Post
You will need to contact your local ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control) and get the necessary permits to even serve commercial beer. I'm guessing they'll say no way on homebrew.
+1 to contacting the ABC. What we've discovered here in AZ is that the answer changes with the makeup of the ABC. Best of luck.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 01-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

As an example: in Oregon all alcohol has to be served by certified servers, the venue has to be licensed for alcohol, people have to have their age verified (again by a certified server) and you need insurance.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-21-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
JacquesPerrault
Recipes 

Our association does have a beer and wine license, so we can sell and serve *commercial* beer. I omitted that information before, because I didn't want to imply that I such a license had any bearing on serving homebrew.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check with the local ABC.

Reason: misspelling

Old 01-21-2009, 05:48 AM   #6
Warped04
I am Wally

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquesPerrault View Post
Our association does have a beer and wine license, so we can sell and serve *commercial* beer. I omitted that information before, because I didn't want to imply that I such a license had any bearing on serving homebrew.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check with the local ABC.
If your event is off-site your license does not cover it.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
faber
Recipes 

state to state....better check with you local ABC or equivalent.

That said, I just had a fund-raiser for a not-for-profit organization where we rented a facility from the city parks division, paid the $5 surcharge so we could serve alcohol, charged admission to the general public for the event, and had a complimentary tasting of two ancient beers that I brewed. No issues. advertised in the paper, flyers all over town, and on local radio.

Some might say I was lucky. I'd say it's Montana, where the sign at the border says, "Welcome to Montana! Don't worry, no one's looking." (or it ought to)

Old 01-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts

Heck we have done that in the past with no problems. You are not selling the brew but giving it away.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
Heck we have done that in the past with no problems. You are not selling the brew but giving it away.
There is a difference between not having any problem and something being legal.

Violation of state liquor laws can be quite expensive and may involve jail time.

If you share your home brew at home with some friends and family no one is going to care as long as the party doesn't get law called on it. However a large public event that is charged admission will get different scrutiny.

I think because you are indirectly have people pay for the beer you will have some issues with the ABC, but check with them to be sure. And definitely do your homework before serving to be sure no one can be a d**k about it.

Craig

Old 01-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
Same here in Iowa. It was beerfest. They sold entrance tickets to get into the area and provided wrist bands. There were no limits on how much one could drink after you got the wristband.

Home brew and commercial beers were served in dixie cups. You could drink a ton for something like $18

There had to be at least 15-20 booths with just homebrewers giving away their beer. Prolly another local breweries and distrubutors totaling 60 or so. If you walked in with a keg the entrance fee was waved.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Quick Reply