The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Serving homebrew for an existing restaurant

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
pandelion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Serving homebrew for an existing restaurant

HBT, I need your help. My girlfriend's father owns a restaurant and has offerred to serve my beer there if I can arrange it. The problem is, I have no idea how I would go about doing this. He said that I can brew there if needed.

I assume that I would need to either (a) turn his restaurant into a brewpub or (b) rent barrel space somewhere and operate as a microbrewery, and then somehow distribute the beer to the restaurant.

Does anyone have an idea how to do either one of these? Everything I found on google gave me a headache; I'm not legally inclined.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandelion View Post
HBT, I need your help. My girlfriend's father owns a restaurant and has offerred to serve my beer there if I can arrange it. The problem is, I have no idea how I would go about doing this. He said that I can brew there if needed.

I assume that I would need to either (a) turn his restaurant into a brewpub or (b) rent barrel space somewhere and operate as a microbrewery, and then somehow distribute the beer to the restaurant.

Does anyone have an idea how to do either one of these? Everything I found on google gave me a headache; I'm not legally inclined.

Thanks
You will need to get licensed as a brewery, and either on site at his restaurant, or in another commercial space. You definitely need a lawyer, but you can get started on your own.

I'm not sure of the laws in California on the advantages from brewing onsite (brewpub) and opening a microbrewery, and how small you can be to self-distribute to his restaurant, so those are things to check into for sure.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Laws are different by state but the general rule of thumb is that he'd have to turn it into a brewpub with the appropriate brewpub license and hire you as a brewer or... as you said, open your own commercial brewery and distribute. The latter is harder and more expensive for you but does have the upside as potentially being further reaching than just his restaurant.. other bars, tasting room, etc.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Another option would be to get your beer brewed by a contract brewer and sell through a single distributor (if you could find one). You'll still need a lawyer to set everything up, but there would be less wrangling with the TTB/ABC.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply