Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Seriously? Give me a break with the hops already.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #101
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I like the occasional hopbomb. I like the occasional 'too hot to eat chicken wing' too...

I think New Belgiums Ranger IPA is a good every day IPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #102
tedclev
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeah, I can get into some hops for sure, and I like a balanced IPA. And yes, the west coast was very instrumental in bringing craft beer to America. However, it doesn't mean it didn't go too far. I am also sick of seeing buttloads of hops in every kind of beer; it's a sign that the brewer doesn't know how to use malts and relies instead on buckets of hops. Of course, as I said before, I'll try anything once, and if it doesn't appeal to me, then oh well. But come on- the Mikkeller 1000 IBU "IPA"- f-ing absurd. It's the epitome of a good thing gone way too far. It's like drinking the hop break material out of the bottom of your kettle. Nasty sludge!

Old 04-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #103
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedclev View Post
I am also sick of seeing buttloads of hops in every kind of beer; it's a sign that the brewer doesn't know how to use malts and relies instead on buckets of hops.
Because you don't like the style, it shows a lack of skill by the brewer? Please... Perhaps it's a lack of pallet sophistication on your part to be able to enjoy the intricacies of these strong flavors.

I totally agree that a 1000 IBU beer is just ridiculous, but that was a marketing tactic not a representation of the style. Would you have ever heard of Mikkeller were it not for the 1000 IBU beer? I wouldn't have. I think it was genius (marketing).

Old 04-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #104
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1104

Actually, SC, its well known that hops are used to cover up flaws in fermentation and malt bills. I'm not saying all of these garbage beers are because of that, but some certainly are.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #105
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

I use hops for flavor...

Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #106
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1925 Times on 1693 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

The problem I have with these hop bombs is that you can't taste the malt profile at all on some. Making good beer is not just about the hops. It's about striking a balance between the malt & hops,so both can be appreciated. Or cut some of the sweetness in a malt forward ale with some hops that benefit both the yeast flavors & the resulting malt profile. To me,anyway...

Old 04-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #107
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
It's about striking a balance between the malt & hops,so both can be appreciated.
By this criteria, a Scottish ale is a poorly executed beer as well because it's unbalanced.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #108
edgeofblade
Recipes 

Go after Black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale styles. They are nice and hoppy, but I find them much more balanced with respectable malty presence.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #109
PanzerBanana
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I loves me some monster hops, but in moderation so they're still special.

American beer tastes are leaning toward hoppier beer, I've got that confirmation straight from a local brewery. Which is something that I enjoy about the evolution of beer. Until the growth of craft beer it'd been decades since America boasted beers to be proud of.

And now with tastes and style leaning toward hoppier beer, America now has a distinct character to "American" beer. Some places like sweeter beer, some drier, more balanced, and every combination thereof.

Expecting everything to be standardized and homogenized is just boring. Too many compare apples and oranges and complain because one isn't enough like the other, when the only thing they have in common is being fruit.

Not to say that at times things aren't a might heavy handed with "ultra super mega hop explosion" stuff, but it's something fun and new. Brewers and some drinkers are just having fun with some change. Eventually things will find a balance.

But you may as well accept that "American" beers are going to air on the hoppier side of the flavor spectrum.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #110
TTB-J
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am a big fan of hops - so I often order the hop bomb du jour at the local. I've noticed, however, that it generally ruins my palette for the rest of the night if I start off with the swift hop kick to the crotch, so now I opt for something more balanced to start and work my way towards sweet or hoppy, depending on my mood. It's kind of like wine tasting - you can't start off with a cotes du rhone and expect to taste much of anything with your second glass.

Honestly, my issue isn't so much with the hop bombs (although I agree there is a pretty big movement towards high ABV, high IBU beers), it's with the lack of regular beers that are characteristic to a style. Half of my desire to get into homebrewing was just to make a good APA that I could drink when I come home from work. Most times I want a good brown ale, or a good amber, or a good stout, porter, etc.

Personally, I have more fun trying to identify subtle differences in what someone is doing within a style than I have with craft breweries trying to take a style and add one or more "twists." Let's put three porters on the table talk about how they are unique in little ways, rather than having a vanilla porter, a bourbon barrel porter, and a double-imperial-cinnamon-sugar-banana-peel-on-the-floor-for-six-days-porter. And maybe it's just the fact that craft breweries feel like they have mastered the basics and are looking for a new challenge or something to keep their brand "fresh." That's fine, but, like I said, that's part of why I started homebrewing - because I feel like it's harder to find straightforward, high quality beers that don't have a million things going on at once.

Quick Reply