Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > selling homebrew/license questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
zoomzilla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default selling homebrew/license questions

After hearing the Brew Strong interview with Ken Anthony of Device Brewing I no longer have any interest in something so involved as starting a nanobrewery, yet I and my homebrew club members are interested in selling our brew in some fashion.
Is it possible to get some kind of license to sell strictly at events or do we have to have a full commercial brewers license no matter what?
I was thinking of a kind of "beer catering" business where we would tend bar at weddings and other events and feature our beer. I don't mind not making any money, it would just be nice to break even so we can drink for free
Is it legal to host a party and charge a cover charge for the party, then give the beer away for free.
Ultimately I'd be happy being nothing more than a weekend warrior making cash on the side while still getting to brew with my buddies on a large homebrew scale. If selling homebrew in any fashion requires a lease space with certain specs etc it's probably something we'd never get into, but I was hoping there were some folks out there who have heard of some innovative ways of selling homebrew as a side project instead of trying to make it a full time career. Thanks for any input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 118

No. Not in any shape or form can you manufacture and sell beer without all requisite local, county, state and federal permits and licenses as a brewery. Period.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #3
TexasSpartan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
No. Not in any shape or form can you manufacture and sell beer without all requisite local, county, state and federal permits and licenses as a brewery. Period.
This.

While the laws regarding the manufacture and sale of alcohol vary by state and municipality, the one thing they all have in common is that selling alcohol without a license is a big no-no.

Keg 1: Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 2: Honey Jalapeno Saison
Denny Likes This 
Old 07-09-2014, 01:17 AM   #4
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You could become a lobbyist and change things for homebrewers. It has worked in the past.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:40 AM   #5
zoomzilla
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know I can't sell without a license, I guess I forgot to mention that we are willing to get a licence of some type, but what licenses are available. The only one I know of requires you to have a leased space which must be inspected and have floor drains, sinks, etc. I'm asking if there are any other limited use licenses available that would allow us to sell in a very limited capacity. I doubt it but I just want to know for sure. thanks.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:47 AM   #6
BHebert
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts

Sell someone a beer and they get in a wreck on the way home and kill somebody, you better have a good lawyer on retainer. Liability insurance will probably be expensive.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:48 AM   #7
thatjonguy
Now with 57.93% more awesome!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 401 Times on 286 Posts
Likes Given: 88

You need a federal Brewer's Notice from the TTB division of the ATF. Plus whatever state/local licenses those jurisdictions require.

Laws make no distraction between nanobreweries and macrobreweries, besides the number of daily/weekly/quarterly reports and excise tax per barrel.

You can not produce beer for any profit including "giving" it away at a party with a "cover" charge.

In some states you can't even remove it from your home.

"That little guy? Don't worry about that little guy."

Denny Likes This 
Old 07-09-2014, 01:59 AM   #8
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 409 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 134

It is called home brew for a reason. It is meant to be consumed at home.

There is no way to sell it without becoming a liscensed brewery. any efforts to get around it by doing things like selling cups and giving the beer for free will not work.

Just enjoy the hobby and let the pros do what they do.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:05 AM   #9
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzilla View Post
After hearing the Brew Strong interview with Ken Anthony of Device Brewing I no longer have any interest in something so involved as starting a nanobrewery, yet I and my homebrew club members are interested in selling our brew in some fashion.

Is it possible to get some kind of license to sell strictly at events or do we have to have a full commercial brewers license no matter what?

I was thinking of a kind of "beer catering" business where we would tend bar at weddings and other events and feature our beer. I don't mind not making any money, it would just be nice to break even so we can drink for free

Is it legal to host a party and charge a cover charge for the party, then give the beer away for free.

Ultimately I'd be happy being nothing more than a weekend warrior making cash on the side while still getting to brew with my buddies on a large homebrew scale. If selling homebrew in any fashion requires a lease space with certain specs etc it's probably something we'd never get into, but I was hoping there were some folks out there who have heard of some innovative ways of selling homebrew as a side project instead of trying to make it a full time career. Thanks for any input.

Bottom line NO!
Unless you go through all the licensing steps required of even a nanobrewery and then there are probably local zoning issues, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
Old 07-09-2014, 02:16 AM   #10
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 503 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 826

When did this site become the defacto site for homebrewers to ask other homebrewers how to get around licensing laws.

Let me google that for you:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=indiana+brewer+license

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Quick Reply