Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Selling Homebrew, Indiana

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
BWRIGHT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Selling Homebrew, Indiana

I've had a few people inquire about purchasing homebrew. I know there are plenty of threads discussing all the laws, licenses, regulations etc. I'm looking for all of that information specific to Indiana state law. Does anyone know where I can find all that info specifically for Indiana?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
HawksBrewer
Audible Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1027 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Selling homebrew is strictly illegal, at least in the 48 contiguous states. You would need an alcohol license in order to complete such a task.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

You mean you want to become a licensed brewer, right? Because you can't sell homebrew, that's illegal. You need to go legit, which would make you a "real" brewer, not a homebrew....Homebrewing is a HOBBY.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

You might as well start here.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Exactly. I've been over the TTB website. I was hoping to find something specifically geared toward specific state law. I'm not trying to start a brewery, just sell to other distributors (restraunts, bars). I'm just beginning to look into this. Hell, maybe it's all illegal. Being approached has got me wondering.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWRIGHT View Post
Exactly. I've been over the TTB website. I was hoping to find something specifically geared toward specific state law. I'm not trying to start a brewery, just sell to other distributors (restraunts, bars). I'm just beginning to look into this. Hell, maybe it's all illegal. Being approached has got me wondering.
It is all illegal, unless you become a licensed brewery.....You have to follow state AND federal law.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
nate456789
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

http://www.in.gov/atc/2458.htm

It's not cheap or easy. If so we all would be selling our beer. The licenses are limited depending on your area. I have a friend that bought an old run down bar just for the license. No others were available in his area.
Kegged: Falconer's APA, Honey Brown Ale, Guinness Draught

Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWRIGHT View Post
It's a matter of semantics, but in this case the semantics are important. What you're asking about IS starting a brewery. Might be a nanobrewery using homebrew equipment, but it's a professional brewery nonetheless.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.
People Like This 
Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 212

So I have a related question...

What's to keep a group of friends from all pitching a few dollars in for supplies to brew together? Let's assume for a moment that I have three friends (yeah, I know, crazy thought, but this is a hypothetical, stay with me. And stop laughing. No, really, stop) who want to brew with me, and we agree to split costs evenly. How is that any different than having them "buy" the beer?

Just asking...

Old 06-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
nate456789
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrose View Post
So I have a related question...

What's to keep a group of friends from all pitching a few dollars in for supplies to brew together? Let's assume for a moment that I have three friends (yeah, I know, crazy thought, but this is a hypothetical, stay with me. And stop laughing. No, really, stop) who want to brew with me, and we agree to split costs evenly. How is that any different than having them "buy" the beer?

Just asking...
I don't think the ATF are going to raid your garage for that. But if your "Friends" own a local pub where a few taps are serving your beer, you might have some explaining to do.
Kegged: Falconer's APA, Honey Brown Ale, Guinness Draught

Quick Reply