Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Selling beer in New Jersey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 07:03 AM   #11
KYB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That is just state regulations. Don't forget local and federal. There's a lot of federal crap to go through.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #12
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Honestly that sounds cheap for a license to make and sell alcohol.
To sell to the public, perhaps. But just to sell wholesale to retailers? The same license in CA is $166. In NY state, $385.

-Joe

Old 10-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
magnj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yea I've looked into it too. It's not so much the license fee but the fact that you can't brew it in a residential area. Now there was a guy in Ca. who got his local zoning board to hook him up and ok a glorified shed as a place to brew but he was a lawyer or something.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #14
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Well, I believe you can petition the town to get a variance. But from looking into what it takes to do that when I was building a deck, it might be easier to buy a warehouse

-Joe

Old 10-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
magnj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Could more than one business operate out of the same building? Community nanobrewery oO?

Old 11-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #16
RickSp
Recipes 

I claim no knowledge of the topic except what I read in the papers and on-line. There are brewpubs in NJ which sell their own brew. From an article last week:

Welcome to Brew Jersey

Quote:
According to the Garden State Craft Brewer's Guild, New Jersey is home to 15 brewpubs and microbreweries. Brewpubs fall under the "restaurant" umbrella because the venues produce batches of craft brews on site. They also sell it on site "to stay" — or packaged "to go" in bottles, kegs or "growlers." Microbreweries also produce small batches of beer on site, but are distributed for sale to wholesalers and retailers.
From the Garden State Craft Brewer's Guild website:
Quote:
Microbreweries produce small batches of beer for sale to wholesalers and retailers both inside and outside New Jersey. That means you can purchase New Jersey micro brewed beer from the shelves of liquor stores and in pubs around the country. Call the brewery for a list of retailers who carry your favorite micro brewed beers.

Brewpubs are restaurants that produce small batches of craft brewed on site and may sell their own beer by the glass for consumption on premise. They may also seel their beer for carry out in bottles, jugs known as "growlers" and in kegs. Brewpub beer is not available outside the restaurant.
The Guild lists eleven microbreweries or brewpubs as members, not a large number for a state with almost 9 million people, but better than nothing.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #17
defenestrate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

hey joe, did she tell you that you can NOT self distribute in NJ? i was under the impression that you can, this is why. from the brewers association website-

New Jersey
License to self-distribute: Yes
Title 33;1-10
Limited brewery license. 1b. The holder of this license shall be entitled, subject to rules and regulations, to brew any malt alcoholic beverages in a quantity to be expressed in said license, dependent upon the following fees and not in excess of 300,000 barrels of 31 fluid gallons capacity per year and to sell and distribute this product to wholesalers and retailers licensed in accordance with this chapter, and to sell and distribute without this State to any persons pursuant to the laws of the places of such sale and distribution, and to maintain a warehouse.

heres a link. http://www.brewersassociation.org/pa...tribution-laws

if there is a catch to this and the brewers association is wrong, i'm very pissed

in your first post you said, "in order to sell to bars". i assumed that she said that we in jersey can sell directly to retailers (bars, restaurants & liqour stores).

Old 01-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #18
speter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I know that I have read that Climax distributes its own beers, so I believe it is possible.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #19
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenestrate View Post
hey joe, did she tell you that you can NOT self distribute in NJ? i was under the impression that you can, this is why. from the brewers association website-

New Jersey
License to self-distribute: Yes
Title 33;1-10
Limited brewery license. 1b. The holder of this license shall be entitled, subject to rules and regulations, to brew any malt alcoholic beverages in a quantity to be expressed in said license, dependent upon the following fees and not in excess of 300,000 barrels of 31 fluid gallons capacity per year and to sell and distribute this product to wholesalers and retailers licensed in accordance with this chapter, and to sell and distribute without this State to any persons pursuant to the laws of the places of such sale and distribution, and to maintain a warehouse.

heres a link. http://www.brewersassociation.org/pa...tribution-laws

if there is a catch to this and the brewers association is wrong, i'm very pissed

in your first post you said, "in order to sell to bars". i assumed that she said that we in jersey can sell directly to retailers (bars, restaurants & liqour stores).
Self Distribution just means when you have your brewery and all your licensing (local, state, federal) and inspections done, that you can self distribute rather than having to find and pay a distributor that will distribute your beer. You cannot sell your beer as a homebrewer, or just get the state license and be set. There is a lot to go through. Self distributing just makes it easier and cheaper than having to go through a distributor once you get everything up and running.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #20
defenestrate

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODaniel View Post
Self Distribution just means when you have your brewery and all your licensing (local, state, federal) and inspections done, that you can self distribute rather than having to find and pay a distributor that will distribute your beer. You cannot sell your beer as a homebrewer, or just get the state license and be set. There is a lot to go through. Self distributing just makes it easier and cheaper than having to go through a distributor once you get everything up and running.
i know what it means, and i know that there are many federal, state and local issues to deal with... earlier in this thread some one said that NJ is 3 tier meaning that you can not sell directly to a retailer, you have to go through a distributor. the information that i found/posted says differently, (not saying mine is correct) and i was clarifying with joe (OP) if the woman he spoke with from the TTB said otherwise. i'm not talking about selling home brew.

Quick Reply